Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sinkin or floating  (Read 2972 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
sinkin or floating
« on: September 03, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »

hi guys/gals.

just want to know what type of line best for a flow like the vedder or fraser. Floating or sinking? what type of tip fast, meadium or slow sinking tip?  gona try the canal tomorrow to practice mainly and might get lucky. ;D hopefully

funpig

Re: sinkin or floating
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 01:11:04 AM »

I have never tried to flyfish on the Fraser (not too many spots to backcast and it just looks so damn wide), but almost always flyfish on the Vedder.  I use a floating line and just add tungten t-14 to make my own sinking tips (3, 6 or  12 feet depending on the current and depth).

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »

As the water level goes down on the Fraser, places to cast will become more clear. Also any good sized bar would be a good place to do some fly fishing. But with regards to line, depends on what you are comfortable throwing. Floating line will be less tiring, and could always fish that with a weighted fly, and some small split shot if you had to get down deeper. If you do use tips, might want to try something lighter than T14 especially on the Vedder right now. With a heavy tip like that you are going to have to open up your casting loops.  And it will not be much fun to cast heavy sink tips all day, especially if you are using a single handed fly rod.

doja

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »

hi guys/gals.

just want to know what type of line best for a flow like the vedder or fraser. Floating or sinking? what type of tip fast, meadium or slow sinking tip?  gona try the canal tomorrow to practice mainly and might get lucky. ;D hopefully

I'd suggest a dry line (no sink tip) with a multi-tip setup buy rio.  These are great as you can easily change tips with loop to loop connections and the different sink rates are very helpful. You may want a slow sink tip when fishing slow/shallow water or a faster sink tip for the faster/deeper flow. You want the option. They work great on lakes too.

I'd avoid the t-14 route until you know what you are doing as it is for more specific areas, flows or advance users. The multi-tip setup will cover it all and is easy for a "newbie" to learn with.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 11:38:26 AM by doja »

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »

Rio makes a really nice tungsten leader 5-15' and in different sink rates.  This is an easy way to convert any floating line to a sink tip for about 15$ each.  They make a trout version and a steelhead version, cant remember the difference.  I have been using the 10' trout extra super fast sink 6ips rate, it is great for trolling or getting deep in fast water.  It it a bit fast for the lower fraser, was getting hung up on the bottom.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:47:17 PM »

I'd suggest a dry line (no sink tip) with a multi-tip setup buy rio.  These are great as you can easily change tips with loop to loop connections and the different sink rates are very helpful. You may want a slow sink tip when fishing slow/shallow water or a faster sink tip for the faster/deeper flow. You want the option. They work great on lakes too.

I'd avoid the t-14 route until you know what you are doing as it is for more specific areas, flows or advance users. The multi-tip setup will cover it all and is easy for a "newbie" to learn with.

very helpful. i have a versatip. i believe it has 5 different ones with different sink rates. after catching no fish today in the vedder canal realized that i should have used a faster sink tip. i was using intermediate.