Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Top 10 Flies  (Read 16820 times)

Bone

Top 10 Flies
« on: December 01, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »

Hey everyone i am new to this site and am interested in getting into fly fishing. Can anyone tell me what are the top 10 flies that you think work the best for you.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Top 10 Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 12:02:18 AM »

Could you tell us your target species and what type of water you plan on fishing.
Actions speak louder than words.

Bone

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 11:10:22 AM »

Thanks Birdman. What would be a good beginner Fly rod to start of with and how much would that cost, including various types of line?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:14:27 AM »

Berry's Bait and Tackle should have entry level fly rod & reel combo plus line for sale at a very reasonable price. I would think Dragonfly would be the brand to go for. Forum member rln can provide more information on Dragonfly rods and their retail prices. First it's best if you let us know what species of fish you are targeting. :)

Bone

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 11:17:15 AM »

I am targeting trout on small lakes.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »

micro leaches 52 buiks,nyphs.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 11:44:30 AM »

Anglers West are a good bunch of guys and have some entry level setups as well...theyre on broadway near cambie.

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 12:11:24 PM »

you should decide if you are going to fish lakes or streams and sloughs. The top ten lake patterns are way different the interior stream pattterns vs coastal slough and stream patterns. For other tackle you can easily get a rod/reel/line outfit that is way more than adequate for learn with and use for many years for less than $100.00. Your biggest expense will be diffrent lines and spools or reels needed for lake fishing. Stores like AnglersWest or Berry's bait should be able to get you started for a very reasonable price. They will have outfits like a 4pc pack rod with a reel loaded with backing,line and leader with a rod and reel case for $100.00. There are lots of value priced combo's avaiable out there, just look around a little. This spring even Walmart with have an outfit that is a 9' #6 graphite rod with a reel loaded with a weight forward floating line,backing and leader for about $70.00 that will cast well. Just add water and a few fish to catch.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 05:14:04 PM »

Hey everyone i am new to this site and am interested in getting into fly fishing. Can anyone tell me what are the top 10 flies that you think work the best for you.

Mine Ha Ha. #1 Royal Coachman #2 Black Gnat #3 Zulu #4 Tom Thumb #5 Baggy Shrimp #6 Double Hackled Peacock #7 Rolled Muddler #8 Stimulator #9 Olive Matuka #10 Green Carey
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 11:27:35 PM »

bead head olive wollybugger, green doc spratley, red doc spratley, black doc spratley, half back nymph, rolled muddler

These are my favourite flies for lower mainland lakes.  The interior is different. Mostly choronimids
weeeeeeeeeow!

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 09:29:00 PM »

Temple fork makes some nice rods for under 100.  Finding a good reel for under a hundred is a challenge though.

Favorite fly?

I like the one that catch fish.  For winter I would focus on nymphs and streamers.  Maybe mostly nymphs cause it works well for me and it is easier than trying to get started catching fish with streamers:  my tops for the winter

Palamino midge, mink midge (cant remember the real name), prince and pseudoprince, bead head soft hackle, trusty old copper SJW, green rockworm (Caddis).   I guess thats not 10, but thats what I usually fish in the winter and when the water is high during the summer. Fish'em near the bottom, dead drifted with a big fat strike indicator, and some split shot 6inches below the fly.  Catch fish, take photo, release, and repeat.
 ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 11:29:18 PM »

Are you sure it's six inches below fly?

Bone

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 09:19:44 AM »

I finally got my fly rod, my girlfriend got it for me, as a early Christmas gift. Bought it at berry's, it is a 5 wt DragonFly rod and reel. Thanks guys for all the help. Now i just need to learn and practice.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:17:11 PM »

Are you sure it's six inches below fly?

Pretty sure split shot 6 inches below.  single knot above and double knot below (one to hold the split shot, and one to break incase it getstuck)

Let us know how it goes, and if it sounds like cracking a whip, then wait longer between strokes.  You'll have to buy less flys that way  :o

Actually, its easiest if you watch the line as you are casting the first few times, to get a feel for the timing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 03:21:47 PM by Jonny 5 »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 04:05:04 PM »

So fly is actually not at the end of the tippet?