Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perfect day  (Read 4145 times)

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
Perfect day
« on: June 11, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »

So I finally got out to test out my not so elegant fly casting skills. Went up to Lil Pinaus lake with some friends. I caught about 3 stupid little perch. My friend who's never casted a fly rod before, lands a nice little rainbow trout.. you can bet I was envious. But we had fun and I finally got to use the rod, tho it wasn't any graceful poetic show...lol I really suck at casting but the neat thing is.. it doesn't seem to stop the fish from biting..LOL

But really... who's stupid idea was it to put perch in the lakes? They are so annoying. All that effort for a little prickly fish I don't care to eat. I also noticed there were loads of shrimp in that lake. I never noticed them before. Are people putting them in there illegally too?

Oh well, I think we'll be going up the back roads next weekend and trying another lake.  :)
~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Re: Perfect day
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »

Perch are better tasting than trout IMO.  but they got to be big enough to each which can sometime be a problem. 

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:56:39 PM »

I think the freshwater shrimp have been in that lake for years. If you can see them in the water it shows you how much feed is in that lake. Darn shame that some "idiot" let some perch go into Pinaus.  Years ago that lake had some real nice large trout in it.

Prettyfly

• I have a website..
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:30:22 AM »

They're HUGE... the shrimp that is.. well.. at least as big as my pinky finger..lol Are they shrimp or are they called "shud" or something like that.

Yes those perch are an icky fish. That's all we'd catch in Ontario, well the odd bass as well but mostly perch. Sure they're fun for the kids to catch but they are so tiny and there's just too many of them to make for decent take home catches. How big do perch usually get? The largest of our catch was I guess 20 cm or so. Maybe a little smaller. Smaller than the one trout caught anyway. Didn't seem worth it to me tho.

I guess the benefit was that I got to practice my 'catch and release techniques' and I'm happy to say there were no bloody fish leaving my hands.

~They were displaced. Their use of the land and history as a people, such as it was known, was appropriated and used to advance competing European territorial interests.

~You've lived a life of privilage, one that was garnered by GREEDY thieves.

John Bigbooty

• Where am I ?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:54:59 AM »

I think the trout in Pinaus are making a comeback.  The last couple of times I've been there I've caught more trout than perch and they were a nice 18-20 inch size.  There are still way better lakes in that neighborhood to go to though, I don't spend a lot of time at Pinaus.  8)