Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blackwater Lake  (Read 2988 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Blackwater Lake
« on: May 13, 2006, 02:27:35 PM »

Anyone know when Blackwater fishes well and what works?

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: Blackwater Lake
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »

is that the lake on the way to Birkinhead campsite??
Please honey can i go fishing now???

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 09:22:43 PM »

Yup.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:17:50 AM »

Fished it once a few years ago around this time I think.  Only was able to land one of about 14' while trolling a black/red mini leech but there were lots of fish jumping that were bigger, probably around 18".  I was still a beginner at that time so didn't know too much about lake fishing (still don't) but recall seeing lots of chironomid shells floating in the water and a few dragon and damselflies flying around.  I have also seen pics from that lake with lots of mayflies so maybe try leeches, dragon/damsel nymphs and mayfly nymphs.  I've also heard that there can be a nice ant hatch on that lake too that should be occuring around now.

You will need to have a boat/tube/pontoon because there is no shore fishing due to bushes.  When I was there, there was a small, rickety dock at the other end of the lake along the road side shore but unless somebody has improved it, I don't think you would want to fish from there.  I found it kinda big for a float tube so I just fished along the reeds/weeds by the road side shore.

Other options in the area would be to try  Ivey and/or Mosquito Lake.  Once again, from what I remember, both lakes require some sort of floatation.  You could also try Birkenhead Lakeat the creekmouths.  I have had some good days there, but it was later in the summer.

Then of course there is the Birkenhead River.

If you have the time, I would recommend a side trip up to Joffre Lake.  Although the lake is probably still frozen over, the scenery is worth the short trip especially if the weather stays nice.