Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flies for alaska  (Read 3477 times)

nigglesworth

Flies for alaska
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:01:17 PM »

Any tips on flies for alaska???

Both salmon & trout.  I just found out I will be spending 2 months up there and am trying to stock my flybox before I leave!!!

I have one week to tie my brians out!

I can't wait....   some of the pics of those monster rainbows have me salivating at the mouth

any info would be greatly appreciated!

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
Re: Flies for alaska
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »

The creeks up there are full of Grayling.....they will attack anything that moves in the water!!Have fun and good luck
Please honey can i go fishing now???

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:58:57 PM »

Lots of marabou so I hear work well.  I've found some nice patterns for relatively cheap on eBay.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 11:37:50 AM »

Not too much different than here. Look for patterns for large preditorial trout. My favorite leach pattern the "Big Black" originated in Alaska. As for preditor patterns talk nice to Bwi and he might be persuaded to ty you a few of my Dolley Whackers.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Stone

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »

Think big.  Stock your flyboxes with plenty of streamers.  #8-4 3XL streamer hooks are a good start.  Beadhead Woolly Buggers, some tied with regular brass beads, some tied with orange beads work well.  Leech patterns, and of course, glo-bugs.  The locals up there simply put an orange bead before tying on a hook, and drift that as an easy glo-bug.

If you're going to try for salmon up there, don't bring a little rod.  I would go with a very stout 8 or 9wt at the very least...but more likely I would prefer my spey rod.  And don't expect to have the place all to yourself...as Alaska is sometimes marketed heavily as the "last frontier" of fishing.  I have pictures of the Kenai that makes the Fraser during Sockeye season look like pristine wilderness...lol.  But...if you stay away from the most popular spots, or are willing to spend the $$$ to be flown or drifted somewhere, then you will have some solitude.  Good luck.