Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Youth Fly-Fishing Championships  (Read 3198 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Youth Fly-Fishing Championships
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:07:33 PM »

Well i got accepted. Don't know if i'm really interested in the investment of my time and money, that i crucially need to use towards my education. I sent an email saying i'm interested. and without sending a resume i got accepted. I don't know what to do now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Youth Fly-Fishing Championships
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:36:05 PM »

1) It's not a waste of time, any experience that can be used on a resume is always worth your time.
2) Find out the total cost.
3) Once you find out the total cost, start putting together a sponsorship proposal that outlines your background, past experience and future goals.
4) Present your proposal to potential sponsors.
5) Discuss the financial situation with the staff in charge of Team Canada. I assume the team does not want show up to the championship with insufficient amount of members. If that's the case, they should be very interested in supporting their members financially.
6) Talk to Tyson/Todd on FishBC and others who have similar experiences on these events.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Youth Fly-Fishing Championships
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 07:00:33 PM »

The money thing has always been a drag. Quaity candidates can't afford the bill so we usually get the so-so guys with a rich DAD. Back when I was coordinating the Terry Fox Club/Team and team Member Mike Morris was excepted, he and his Dad approached all the local fly shops for sponsorship and also raised money with a 50/50 draw. I am sure some of the other members here could help with ideas.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"