Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scuds  (Read 4932 times)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Scuds
« on: May 03, 2006, 12:39:25 AM »

I always have trouble tying scuds as they always seem to swim upside down.  I hear people saying to use straight shank hooks but they still swim upside down. Any ideas! ???
I like ROE

mojoman

• Old Timer
Re: Scuds
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:17:25 AM »

mebbe try a tiny strip of lead on the bottom of the fly....just a thought from a retired tier...;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 06:18:20 AM »

I do not worry about my scuds swimming upside down, because natural scuds will sometimes swim upside down too ;)  As you are stripping in the scud the fly will usually right itself when you pause between strips  ::) Another tip, is to use a loop style knot, same as you would for chironomids when attaching the scud to your tippet.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:01:39 PM »

I do not worry about my scuds swimming upside down, because natural scuds will sometimes swim upside down too ;)  As you are stripping in the scud the fly will usually right itself when you pause between strips  ::) Another tip, is to use a loop style knot, same as you would for chironomids when attaching the scud to your tippet.

I haven't heard that before, what knot do you use and why??

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:43:19 PM »

Most guys use a knot called a duncan loop for chironomid fishing, I use a knot that is very similar except I finish mine with an improved clinch knot  ;D A loop knot allows more movement to the fly, which is important with a suspended chironomid.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:46:37 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:48:18 PM »

There is a pattern that is made so the shrimp is upidedown, so when fished at the bottom wont hang up on rocks or marl and are draged to stir up the bottom.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 04:44:07 PM »

Most guys use a knot called a duncan loop for chironomid fishing, I use a knot that is very similar except I finish mine with an improved clinch knot  ;D A loop knot allows more movement to the fly, which is important with a suspended chironomid.

that's a great point, ill try it next time out, thanks.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »

i agree 100% with mykiss....watch a scud swim in its natural setting and you'll see its a non issue.  Scuds swim sideways, upside down, rightside up, in circles, all over the place.  Dont sweat it!