Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should Sturgeon fishing remain open to catch and release in the Fraser ?

Yes Remain Open
No Closed
Open To Guides only
Open (with purchase of Sturgeon tag with monies going toward research and to fund a Sturgeon hatchery)

Author Topic: SARA and sturgeon  (Read 13980 times)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: SARA and sturgeon
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2005, 09:24:12 PM »

According to an article in the new issue of BC Outdoors, page 72; every angler license dollar collected by the Province is directed to fisheries service delivery-either by the Freshwater Fisheries Society or by the Habitat Cons. Trust Fund. or WLAP. This started in April 2003. Prior to that date the $ from licenses and tags went to general revenue.
Thank for that it's Good News.

The article also points out that there are Sturgeon conservation hatcheries operating in the province. The FFSBC president Don Peterson states in the interview that sturgeon all over the world are in big trouble due to the const. and operation of dams. It states that there are three populations of Sturgeon in B.C. in serious trouble. It mentions the upper Columbia, Kootenay, and Nechako rivers. It does not mention the Fraser river at all. It says that the Nechako is in the worst condition regarding Sturgeon.
 Seems odd to halt the fishery for Sturgeon on the Fraser river. Are they really in that much trouble?
That's the question-are the Nechako and Fraser fish genetically identical?
Because if they are then the only hope Nechako fish have is that Fraser fish will somehow repopulate the Nechako-a long shot as we all know because that river is so badly screwed.
Should we just kiss Nechako stocks goodbye?
That's how it used to be done but that old time kill 'em all attitude is the reason we have SARA now.

Seems pretty drastic to just shut it down entirely. But if they have the evidence that it is in that much trouble, how do you argue with it? Conservation, and Mother Natures best interest must come first. $ and peoples enjoyment can not supersede the importance of conservation.
 It would be nice to see some publicized evidence of the Sturgeon's troubles.
The data is right there in what's been published by the Sturgeon Society-and of course it's all in how the data is interpreted.
60,000+ sounds like a fabulous number to you and I but from what Troy what's-his-name the President of the Sturgeon Society said it's all about recruitment.
The females only become fertile at about age 20 years and there are only so many of them I can't remember the ratio of fertile females to males but it was surprisingly low-if pressure is somehow increased on that small part of the population the whole deck of cards could collapse in short order.
I wish you guys could have heard Troy speak at that meeting in the Cannery in Steveston last fall.
Man does that guy know something about drawing data from numbers-the kind of images he was able to project using numbers was both amazing and enlightening.
Too bad he's such a busy guy because he could add a lot to this discussion.
It's also too bad the Sturgeon Society doesn't have a decent web presence-there are hundreds of dedicated volunteers out there contributing energy time and money for Sturgeon research and it is paying off slowly.

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2005, 07:30:57 PM »

Sam Salmon;

Would you have a number, or email for the Sturgeon Society? I am interested in reading the information you are talking about. Have they publicized an official report?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2005, 08:34:53 PM »

I lost a lot of data I had in a recent crash-this from http://www.guidebc.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the past several years a group of dedicated people have been working hard to learn more about the Fraser Rivers White Sturgeon. A group of volunteers have been assembled lead by Rick Hansen (The Man in Motion). Scientists, tackle shop owners, First Nations, angling guides, and others who care about these magnificent animals have all dedicated time to help gather more information about the Fraser Rivers Sturgeon population. This data will help scientists determine whether the population is increasing or decreasing and what may be effecting it's survival.

The Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society was formed in 1997 , it's official launch took place in October of 98 in Mission, B.C. Last year was the first Sturgeon tagging day, the society volunteers managed to hook and tag over 80 fish in two day's. This year Tagging day was held in the lower Fraser, not as many fish were tagged but the media response and volunteer's were out in full force.

Rick and society directors have been working hard for the past year trying to raise awareness and funds so that the tagging of Sturgeon could continue. It's not a cheap endeavor, the equipment needed costs thousands of dollars. The Pit tags which are inserted under the sturgeon skin cost $8 us each and the tag readers are $575.00 us. These expensive tags are needed to ensure the tags stay with the fish for years to come. In the past, the wire tags were used but they don't stay with the fish as long. Thanks to Fisheries Renewal ($25,000) The Vancouver Foundation ($25,000), Canadian Sportsman Show ($10,000) these expensive Pit tags and scanners were purchased and will be distributed to volunteers in the field. Much more funds are still needed as the Sturgeon Society would like to equip more boats and purchase more tags.

The Fraser River White Sturgeon has outlived the dinosaurs and survived two ice ages. The biggest challenges still lies ahead, with increased angling pressure, gravel extraction and the growing need for commercial industry on the rivers edge. Sturgeon are a magnificent animal that has survived the unbelievable odds stacked against them. It's now time that we as a community do what we can to help these incredible animals survive another million years.

If you would like more information on the Fraser River Sturgeon Society or would like to contribute to the conservation fund, you can call: 604-271-6332 or write to:
Fraser River Conservation Society
3551 Moncton Street,
Richmond, B.C.
V7E 3A3

http://www.rickhansen.com/Fishing/Fraser/fraser.htm

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2005, 07:28:40 PM »

Thank you, Sam

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2005, 07:37:53 PM »

Anybody know the guy on the extreme right ?  I might have gone to school with him.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2005, 09:58:24 AM »

That's Calvin Higano Manager of the fishing dept @ Nikka Industries and a founding member of the Fraser River Sturgeon Society .

blueback

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2005, 11:13:17 AM »

I just wanted to point out that despite earlier assertions made here that fishing licence fees all go toward fisheries, when you look at the website for the Habitat Conservation Fund, you'll dee that a number of projects that our money goes toward are public education programs and bird habitat protection, etc. It's not all going toward fish or fisheries guys.   

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2005, 12:29:09 PM »

Blueback;

The HCTF has allways been involved with many different projects in B.C. They have never limited themselves to just fish or fish projects.
  The HCTF receives it's funding from the following resources: Angling, Hunting, Trapping licenses and tags, Guide License surtaxes, and Donations.
  The difference now from before is that Fishing and Hunting license revenues used to go to gov. general revenue, now it is 100 percent going to Fish and Wildlife management. The Hunting license and tags revenue will be allocated towards wildlife and habitat improvement projects, and the fishing license and tags will be allocated towards projects improving our freshwater fisheries situation in B.C.
  The rest of the funds will be directed into different projects

The mission statement from the HCTF reads as follows:

To provide funds to proponents to assist in maintaining the health of natural ecosystems by preventing and mitigating the loss of Habitat and Native species of freshwater fish and wildlife in B.C. for the benefits of us all.

blueback

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2005, 09:30:51 PM »

Excellent info ATS, thank you. I've been looking for info just like this; where did you get it? I was also wondering (maybe you could tell me?), whether or not the change in funding stream, and allocation has resulted in a net increase or decrease going toward fish and fish habitat restoration? Also, I'm sorry, don't want to highjack this thread.   

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2005, 11:32:43 AM »

Blueback;

I know the people at the Freshwater Fisheries Society in Abbotsford. Some of that info comes from conversations I've had with those fellas. Some of the info is also available through their website, as well as through Water land and Air Protection.

You raise a very good question about whether their money allocation for fish and fish habitat restoration has increased or decreased since the change. I would have to venture a guess, that it probably has increased significantly. Considering how poorly the government has supported fish and wildlife rehab. in the past with $ from gen. revenue I would have to suggest that it could only get better. ;) If I get a chance, in the near future, I will put forth your guestion to some one who could most definitely give me answer to the question, and post the response. I imagine the HCTF would also be obliged to give a very accurate answer if contacted.

Also apologize for the high jacking. :D

blueback

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 05:45:38 PM »

Thanks ATS!! ;D

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2005, 08:22:12 PM »

Blueback;

I spoke with a representative from the Freshwater Fisheries Society this morning, and I asked the question you were wondering about.
  I was told that prior to this new agreement(2003), the support to, and improvement of fish and wildlife in B.C. by funding from gen. revenues via..different ministries of our government was very unreliable and unpredictable. There was no set amount, percentage, or allocation designated to different groups which help our fish and wildlife. It was in ways, a guessing game of who or what project was going to get funding
  With the new agreement, there should be substantially more $ going to these areas. Although It was pointed out to me that fishing lic. sales has declined over the past two years, it will still supply more $ than the old system.
  Apparently 54 percent of fishing lic. sales goes directly to the budget of the Freshwater Fisheries Society and the other 46 percent is distributed to other fishery related projects and programs, ie: HCTF, etc., giving a total 100 percent to fish and fish habitat improvements.
  The agreement between the government and the Freshwater Fisheries Society is a 30 year contract.

Hope that clears things up.
  I promise, no more highjacking. ;D ;D

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »

FA,
I Went to high school with Calvin.  If you went to Burnaby Central and graduated in 1982, then you did.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2005, 03:13:34 PM »

FA,
I Went to high school with Calvin.  If you went to Burnaby Central and graduated in 1982, then you did.

Wrong guy but he sure looks like someone I went to school with.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »

Bringing this back up to, and here's some further reading on the issue. This is an article done by Dr Marvin Rosenau, published by Fish Bytes at UBC.

http://www.fisheries.ubc.ca/publications/fishbytes/10-6.pdf (pdf file)