Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RIP Charlie White  (Read 9679 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
RIP Charlie White
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »

the carp

Re: RIP Charlie White
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 02:47:43 PM »

A sad day in the fishing community, Charlie will be missed. A true pioneer in fishing gear technology, I met Charlie several times throughout my guiding career ans was always impressed by his positive outlook and demeanor, I among thousands have enjoyed his videos, who can forget the bilge water lure. Any of you young anglers out there, if you have the opportunity to watch Charlies videos or read his books, your in for a treat. Tight lines Charlie.

noxcape

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »

rip charlie you will be missed

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »

29th should be made a holiday in his memory. Loved his fishing shows. Selling bottled bilge water was pure genius.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 06:01:43 PM »

watched him when i was just a kid. charlie white fishing show or something like that. read most of his "How to catch" books and remember when he designed the "ultimate lure" ,a trolling lure for salmon fishing. Used it myself back in the day and it outfished  flashers and hootchies most of the time. a true bc fisherman. RIP Charlie White. :(

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 06:09:47 PM »

OMG that is terrible news!

He was my hero as a kid, Salmon Spectacular was one of the best movies back then!!

Rest in Peace Charlie, you are already missed.

I'm going to watch it again tonight... It's part of a saltwater salmon fishing ritual for dad and I, reciting the words from the movie in the early AM on the first day of every trip:

"Well this could be the big morning... Well then again I say that every other morning..."

If you have seen it, you'll know the scene I am talking about, and what shortly follows...

:)
Nicole
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:11:19 PM by Nicole »
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »

Saw him 20 years ago at Bonsor Hall in burnaby gave a 2 hour lecture on salmon fishing....was a great man..and will be sadly missed..Tight lines Charlie
Take the T out of Morton.

bcguy

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 08:20:19 PM »

That is sad news, I just finished reading one of his books, "How to catch bottom fish"
Sure would have liked to have met him. Rest in peace Charlie.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »

Attended couple of his lectures. Still have the video "Salmon Spectacular" Charlie will be missed.

slick vic

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37:41 PM »

just read some stories about him. what a legendary man. RIP

purple monster

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

I always like the illustrations done by Nelson Dewey in his book, "Basic fundamentals " on How to catch salmon of course.  Still have the book with the fishing gear (still learning).

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

Have his book "HOW TO CATCH SALMON" ... read the short article about his life but it showed just how interesting this man was.

I remember years ago of hearing Ted Peck (I think that's the name) giving live fishing reports from a boat in the Vancouver area waters on a radio station.  Report like..."A few salmon were caught near Sandheads ..."
Men like Charlie & Ted were so so respected in their field.  RIP.  Family in our "thoughts & prayers".

deepcovehooker

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 08:16:55 AM »

Watched Charlie' videos a lot a few years ago.  Went to a couple of his presentations.  Back about 20 years ago was up at Rivers Inlet at the same time he was filming an underwater camera show.  Got on board with him for about 30 minutes.  He was a great fisherman and a real nice guy.  I hope there are salmon in heaven for him to catch.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »

Sad to hear about his departure. Just an incredible genius and nice guy. Love to watch his underwater camera shot of how salmon would be lured into striking a trolled lure. He has never stopped making discoveries and inventions even with fishing. We will miss him. Rest in peace Charlie.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:30:17 PM by Steelhawk »

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »

Yup the man was amazing and will be missed:(