Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parking by the train bridge  (Read 10810 times)

bcguy

Parking by the train bridge
« on: December 29, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

Now I don't know if its illegal, but it can't be best practice, was out scouting the area by the train bridge on the Vedder today and there was a slew of vehicle's parked right down next to the river on the gravel bank. Any thoughts of this practice? Illegal or just not acceptable practice any more.
20 or 30 years ago sure (ignorance is bliss), but my self I don't think acceptable anymore.
Out of all of them, I'm sure at least one was an oil leaker...after all it was a Chev  ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Parking by the train bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:09:11 PM »

PegLeg mentality transplanted to the Vedder.  >:(

The practice will result in the whole area being closed to vehicular access.
Mark my words.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »

One winter I was out there and a guy parked within a foot of the river with his truck running. He stepped out, casted, got back into his truck and drifted with his arm out the window.
He left before I worked my way down to him.
Yackass!

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

PegLeg mentality transplanted to the Vedder.  >:(

The practice will result in the whole area being closed to vehicular access.
Mark my words.
Milo this has been going on for years there! Wish they would close it and make the guys walk in!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

greybark

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

I certainly undertand your fustration , but to exclude those that have trouble walking because of medical or age makes no sence .

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:04 PM »

I once saw a guy had his truck in the river and was fishing off his pickup and drinking beer.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:39 PM »

I certainly undertand your fustration , but to exclude those that have trouble walking because of medical or age makes no sence .
I did not exclude anybody. There are stretches along the entire length of the river where access is really easy. I just don't like to see a vehicles tires parked in the river!
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »

My old old-timer retiree friend who is a spey guy there most days in steelhead season told me that is the only safe spot for his truck - he can see and hear anything done to his truck. He lives there and fish it often. With that much fishing, his truck can be broken in, perhaps a few times per season and he can't afford that. He also doesn't need to walk long or risk falling on rocks. He once broke his nose falling on rocks and had to be hospitalized. Why invite more closure of easy access when there is no evidence that the users there have damaged any river ecology? Do guys on this forum always have to alert the authority to close on something people are enjoying their fishing simply because they don't fish there or they don't like it? Other people can have choices too. I don't fish the train bridge run much. I mostly walk the rapids. But just saying...

Personally I favour even building a much more structured concrete fishing platform there so that old, frail and guys on wheelchair can have that spot to fish out of the entire river. I know this idea is controversial here but think about it, with the boomers aging fast and many of them are avid fishermen but getting less and less mobile, it will be nice to have one spot in the river where even handicapped people can access and given first priority to fish there. To me, train bridge run already has good access. River fishing with handicapped access. They do that for pavement. Why not for one spot among so many rivers. Even the prison inmates got their spot exclusive for them before the prison camp is relocated. It can be done with some political will. Rick Hansen?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:39:23 PM by liketofish »

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

My old old-timer retiree friend who is a spey guy there most days in steelhead season told me that is the only safe spot for his truck - he can see and hear anything done to his truck. He lives there and fish it often. With that much fishing, his truck can be broken in, perhaps a few times per season and he can't afford that. He also doesn't need to walk long or risk falling on rocks. He once broke his nose falling on rocks and had to be hospitalized. Why invite more closure of easy access when there is no evidence that the users there have damaged any river ecology? Do guys on this forum always have to alert the authority to close on something people are enjoying their fishing simply because they don't fish there or they don't like it? Other people can have choices too. I don't fish the train bridge run much. I mostly walk the rapids. But just saying...

Personally I favour even building a much more structured concrete fishing platform there so that old, frail and guys on wheelchair can have that spot to fish out of the entire river. I know this idea is controversial here but think about it, with the boomers aging fast and many of them are avid fishermen but getting less and less mobile, it will be nice to have one spot in the river where even handicapped people can access and given first priority to fish there. To me, train bridge run already has good access. River fishing with handicapped access. They do that for pavement. Why not for one spot among so many rivers. Even the prison inmates got their spot exclusive for them before the prison camp is relocated. It can be done with some political will. Rick Hansen?  ;)

I've said the same thing for years. Municipalities do NOT value anglers contributions to their coffers. Drive a 100 miles south to the USA rivers and see the difference. They have great boat launch sites, good parking, and flush toilets at the more popular spots.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »

Why invite more closure of easy access when there is no evidence that the users there have damaged any river ecology?
Vehicles leak oil and fuel. Oil and fuel are harmful to aquatic animals. What more evidence do you need?

rustybee

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »

Vehicles leak oil and fuel. Oil and fuel are harmful to aquatic animals. What more evidence do you need?

+1.

fisherforever

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »

X2

sbc hris

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »

X3

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 10:11:09 PM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »

Don't waste your breath guys. ur arguing with someone who actually thinks providing parking spots is part of DFO's mandate lol...