Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Parking for the Lower Capilano River  (Read 4288 times)

awyisss

Parking for the Lower Capilano River
« on: September 06, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »

Hey guys so with the recent downpour we've had I'd like to try fishing the Cap for the first time on one of the upcoming days. I've never been down there before but from what I've read on this website, I've decided that I shouldn't go to the cable pool and give it a try underneath the Highway One bridge instead.

From what I can see on google maps, Capilano Rd runs along the river where the bridge is but it doesn't look like a street where I can park my car and trek down from there. I saw this video on youtube and is seems like a spot I'd like to try. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0CvE4VF1Tc

Where should I park my car and where should I start the trek down to the river? And is there a cleared pathway to get down there or will I be going for a hike? lol

Lastly, I don't own a pair of waders, will I still be able to get to a fishable spot?

I know its a little taboo asking about the location of certain fishing spots but I'm a newb and just trying to get down to the river in one piece. This website/forum has been a huge help in the few short months I've been angling, and the endless supply of fishing knowledge is awesome! Thanks to anyone that can answer my questions!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Parking for the Lower Capilano River
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:10:03 AM »

can't help with parking, I've never gushed the cap. as far as waders go, wear something you can get wet, and being a change of shoes and or socks. then you don't have to worry about a little water when releasing fish. never understood why people think because they don't have waders, they can't get in the water. not you personally, just in general.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

wonder

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 06:46:43 AM »

Turn on Keith road off Taylor way park under hwy1 bridge. Lotta guys tho get there early

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »

Just a reminder there is still a bait ban on the cap

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »

Don't fish Keith Rd Pool if the water is rising. There is a side channel you have to cross when the water is high and you may not be able to cross back. Only try it when the water is lower. You can fish the run by the care home instead for high water. Just park one street north of Marine Drive.

1son

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:26:52 PM »

Liketofish is totally right keep an eye on that back channel things can get real dangerous crossing back over just watch the water levels make sure u time it correctly.

awyisss

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:25 PM »

Thanks for the answers guys I'll probably give it a go by the care home and maybe keith rd sometime in the future.

Liketofish is totally right keep an eye on that back channel things can get real dangerous crossing back over just watch the water levels make sure u time it correctly.
This is a dumb question but how exactly do I watch the water levels and time it correctly? Do you mean check the times for high and low tides, or just watch whether its rising or falling? I do eventually want to try out the keith rd pools.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:47 PM »

Thanks for the answers guys I'll probably give it a go by the care home and maybe keith rd sometime in the future.
This is a dumb question but how exactly do I watch the water levels and time it correctly? Do you mean check the times for high and low tides, or just watch whether its rising or falling? I do eventually want to try out the keith rd pools.
http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/
When the water level in this camera is around above 5, you will not be able to cross that side channel without the water being around your neck.  When you are fishing there, just take note of where the water level currently is when you cross that channel and take note of how far the water rises at your feet while you're fishing.  When in doubt it's time to go back.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »

Water level on the Cap can rise very quickly when water is released from the dam upstream. When fishing the Keith run always keep an eye open for water level rise as the back channel can become a raging torrent very quickly. People have been known to get stranded on that island or worse.