Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pencil lead or split shot  (Read 3665 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
pencil lead or split shot
« on: October 02, 2004, 01:24:20 PM »

what is more popular pencil lead or split shot ? ??? ??? ??? Is there a advanage using split shot over pencil lead ?  If i use a 2inch piece of pencil lead how many split shot would i need ?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Re: pencil lead or split shot
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 01:45:53 PM »

Pencil lead is more popular on the rivers simply because it's cheaper and can be "customized" to suit the fishing situation. Also, you need to consider how each type is fished, it's quite difficult to bottom-bounce with split shot, and pencil lead is cheaper than bouncing betties.

Split shot are used a lot in lakes under floats more-so than pencil lead is. Split shot can be more effective than pencil-lead when float fishing, simply because it balances the weight out accross all the line instead of a big chunk of lead in one spot.

Doing a direct weight comparison between pencil lead and split shot can be difficult because there are different diametres of lead available, and also different sizes of split shot. If you are using it to float fish, just add and remove split shots as neccessary to achieve the right float balance.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 02:09:21 PM »

I find split shots too hard to cast with when you are using several of them on the line.  They  tangle up too easy.
I like ROE

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 03:02:42 PM »

I use pencil lead for most of my river fishing.  I precut them at home, flatten one end with a hammer and drill a tiny hole in it so the snap swivel can attach to it.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Robert

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 03:21:33 PM »

I also use pencil lead for most of my river fishing.  I prefer using the rubber tubing method cuz if your weight gets stuck between some rocks you usually just loose the weight.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 04:23:17 PM »

My preference is split shots when float fishing bait.