Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IF I was to open a Japanese fishing store.  (Read 9706 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: IF I was to open a Japanese fishing store.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »

Sam always sees things that most of us don't see... ;D Good point regarding the warranty and service, I can't imagine how complicated that would be.

I'll make a few more comments:

Regarding the bags, I'm afraid I wouldn't buy them. I went from using bags, to just carrying one rod at all time. The bag is not designed for the type of fishing offered here, which only one rod can be used at all time. The use of bag is only necessary if two or more rods can be used, such as coarse fishing that you often see in Europe, and of course many other styles of fishing in Japan.

I also went from telescopic to two pieces. I doubt I'll ever go back to telesopic rods. In my tackle room, there sits around ten very expensive telescopic rods... Shimano, Gamagatsu, NFT, Daiwa... They haven't been touched for almost ten years. There just isn't a need.... Back in Australia, I used those all the time, the target species are different, styles are different too.

I am welcoming the idea of bringing Japanese reel models though, since I am a big fan... However, I can't see there is a market big enough to keep you sustainable. How often do you see a Calcutta TE or Calais while fishing?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 10:13:12 PM by Rodney »

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: IF I was to open a Japanese fishing store.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 10:18:34 PM »

I found out about the whole JDM service issue while following a Forum in the USA.
One Guy was asking why they were so popular with US Bass anglers and another said "it's because they are made from unobtainium" ;D.
Then they started talking about service.
Shimano JDM reels are also popular with deep jiggers in the salt-OCEA I think they're called-of course the same issues arise-you have a beautiful unit but no warranty.

Anyway Nigel as to the hooks & whatnot you'd have to contact each store and feel them out as to whether or not they'd be interested.
Then too you'd realise what a small place this really is.

Lastly 50k isn't nearly enough-double that at least  ;)