Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: center pin  (Read 11273 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: center pin
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:19 AM »

Here we go again Dennisk!!!!  You were a one hell of a shi*** pin head i ever seen and heard,cause you never learn it right in the first place.   Is ok,you have your right to say what ever you want,but please keep it to yourself.

lol. Ok, I'll be nice and quiet.

But only after you watch the pinners take their time playing the fish a lot longer then they need too because they are using gear to "enhance" the fisherman's experience versus the fish. Don't you care about putting the least amount of stress on the fish? You only have to watch how long it takes a reel without a drag to bring in a salmon versus a reel with  drag. Just open your eyes and see what "most" pinheads are doing. I'll make a video for you of the pinheads on the vedder as they run down river with their 8 pound coho, pehaps you need some proof lol.

But chill out, it's all for "fun", right?

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »

You don't have to break the bank to buy a centerpin, they are pretty simple reels and don't have alot of moving parts so even cheap ones will perform well.

Centerpins and level winds both have their advantages and disadvantages. What I like about centerpins is their basic designs, they isn't alot than can go mechanically wrong with them. Unlike level winds where there is an internal drag system on a centerpin you use your fingers on the spool as a drag, when you get good at this you will be able to bring in fish faster than a level wind setup simply because you can keep the maximum amount of pressure on the fish at all times..

Fisherama

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 12:22:52 PM »

But only after you watch the pinners take their time playing the fish a lot longer then they need too because they are using gear to "enhance" the fisherman's experience versus the fish. Don't you care about putting the least amount of stress on the fish? You only have to watch how long it takes a reel without a drag to bring in a salmon versus a reel with  drag. Just open your eyes and see what "most" pinheads are doing. I'll make a video for you of the pinheads on the vedder as they run down river with their 8 pound coho, pehaps you need some proof lol.

It really depends on the person.  Some pinners take longer to land a fish as do some who use levelwinds.  Personally, I can land a fish just as quickly on a pin as I can on a levelwind, and even if there is a slight difference, it's probably negligible.  Lets get real here, if we were so concerned about putting less stress on fish as to use that argument as the only basis for not purchasing a pin, we'd all own "big bertha" rods and reels fitted with braided line so that we could haul them in as quickly as possible. 

rocky

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »

interesting thread especially to someone who picked a sage 3113 mb and a a hardy suberba from pawnshops over a few years span plus an avon royal supreme. all were pretty good deals. i have not used them yet except to test the sage and silex. i found it a liittle hard to cast and thought that the next time,  or for real, i might try the avon as it spins so smooth.

koko

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:37:56 PM »

If you buy a 4.25" CP, it can pick up as fast as most LW. Use you palm as a drag you can stop a frieght train and instance adjust the drag, any body think using CP take longer to land fish really should not make any comment cause you really have no clue.

Brian

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:09:20 PM »

Don't you care about putting the least amount of stress on the fish?

If you really cared about the ethics of molesting small animals for amusement, you wouldn't be fishing and 'releasing' your fish.  You'd just kill what you needed to eat, and stopped fishing after that.

minsyoo

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »

simply put, i recently purchased a centerpin, and i like it.  :)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »

From the line ratings/actions I've seen for most pin-rods I can see how dennisK would come to his conclusions.Most are faiirly light and soft action and perhaps not enough backbone.But this would put the blame on rod choice not reel choice.
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

aquaholic

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 09:05:15 PM »

Wow, I got a 8 pound coho this morning on my PIN and I stood in one spot and that fish was in my hand and bonked in less than 1 minute, I should have recorded that so YOU could have proof that your wrong !!

I usually fish 8-10 pound leader and i can get a 20-30 pound white spring in less than 5 minutes standing in one spot. Only time i walk down with a fish is if im steelheading and the fish takes a crazy long run i will move to keep up with it and stay as close as possible to the fish as i can for better controll. That being said if you know how to angle the rod to make a fish turn its a whole lots easier.

Most people i observe out there with pins, hold there rod straight up and down waiting for the fish to come back will make it take longer to land then it should take, but learning the technique on knowing how and when to make a fish turn by angling the rod either the left or right side of your body or even the rod tip in the water either down or up stream depending on the area being fished will allow the fish to come to hand that much faster.

Get a pin and learn it and learn it well... doesnt matter if you have firends that have pins maybe they dont kow exactly what there doing and thats why your getting the wrong impression.

Just cause your using a pin doesnt mean you cant put the binders on the fish and turn that thing around and get it in fast !!

SnaggedADuck

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »

My father in law uses a spin with 80 or 85 lbs braided, and mono leaders of 40lbs.  He uses a Okuma V65 on full tension and he is exactly like you.  Brings them in super fast.  And it is faster than I could on a pin simply cause I use 10lbs leader, but thats no slower than my levelwind with 10lbs leader.  Dennis do you use really heavy line?  Cause that might explain alot.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 08:13:36 AM »

Dennis how the H**L does a pin take longer to play a fish, u even said u owned one, u obvs didn't hook a alot of fish on it. My nube buddy who just got his new setup, landed a 15ish chum in less than 3 min, on 10lb leader NOT knowing what he was doing. sometimes i wonder man. . .  You get way better control and understanding of a what a fish is going to do when ur playing it on a pin, and having a sticky drag in a baitcaster just makes me affraid to use one. I'm glad to be a pin head, and glad that i dont have to use a shitty baitcaster ever again.
Fish killer 101

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »

recently was given a pin, love it, way more fun and hands down you can catch more fish once you've got the hang of it...only con for me would be not being able to fish spoons and spinners on it (as well..). I recommend one 100%
 :)

n8

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:13:47 AM »

certain gear for certain spots fellas... no single rod/reel setup is best for the whole river.. it depends where/what type of water you are fishing. pros and cons to everything fellas...

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 07:25:59 AM »

Put it this way. If EVERYONE had to use centerpins out on the flow,there would be a lot more room to fish out there  ;). I would also like to say that 99.99% of the 12 foot leaders and little round weights would disappear as well too. ;D

People that have negative comments on centerpin fishing ,are simply the ones who don't have the skill to use one correctly. To me, using a centerpin correctly, is an art in itself, and definitely something the new angler will appreciate, once they get used to it  :).

burnaby

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »

luv these standard vs. automatic type debates. Each has distinct advantages, one is not an upgrade over the other. LW have mechanic advantage and drag and with that absolute control is reduced and more maintainance. Pins are dead simple, can't get much simpler than a spool of line, just don't ding it so baby it when you put the rod down.