Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shimano Sienna 2500 FD  (Read 6018 times)

PinFishin

Shimano Sienna 2500 FD
« on: November 29, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »

Hello all,

I purchased a combo a few years back basically just for the rod. I took the reel off and never thought of it again until recently.

I use a 4500 size spin caster when I lure fish but it has become apparent that a reel this size is just not balanced when using a super light fast rod for coho and pinks.

Was wondering if anyone had any insight into this reel and if it would be worth my time to line it up. Does it have enough balls for salmon or even steelhead or am I better off to leave it be and continue using my clunky 4500?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:30:10 PM by PinFishin »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Shimano Sienna 2500 FD
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

Well, from my limited knowledge with spinning reels, I believe the 2500 size Shimano is about right for pinks and coho.  I just got a Sahara 2500 FE and so far it seems to cast very nicely and is smooth.  I'm not sure how much I'll use it though.  For Pinks, I find that flies are the best option!   ;) ;) ;)

...then again, you can always do what Stratocaster does at times, when his fly casting tires him out, and whip out the bubble float with a fly on the end.  Hey slayed them when he did that!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »

The 2500 size is more than enough for coho and pink salmon, and can handle chum salmon just fine if a faster rod is being used.

PinFishin

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »

The 2500 size is more than enough for coho and pink salmon, and can handle chum salmon just fine if a faster rod is being used.

Rod didn't you have a post about you having a 9' Clarus? I have a Clarus pin rod and love it (aside from the floating reel seats). Wanted to pick up a 9' spinning rod as I use a shorter one currently but on shimano's site I see no such thing.

That is what I plan on paring this reel with.

Silver

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »

Curious?
Why would a bigger stronger fish like a chum require a fast rod.
Does fast not mean the whip action?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »

Fast (vs. slow) does refer to the rod's action, so yes Silver you are correct.  However, fast action rods are "stiffer" and will generally have more lifting power than a soft rod.  So they can put more pressure on the fish when bent.  The disadvantage of a "fast" rod is they can pull the hook right out of the fish's mouth.  This is why I prefer a more "moderate" action rod.  However, when I'm fly fishing for salmon, I'll use heavy sink tips at times.  This is when a fast action fly rod is ideal for tossing those heavy tips.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:21:54 PM »

What FFM said.

You can land chum salmon with a moderate action rod, but you will have to work hard for it if water is moving. This chum salmon was hooked in a pool where there was almost no river current so I could bring it in pretty easily with the CSS90ML2B.

Of course I also have to bring this other photo up again… ;D This chinook salmon was hooked in the Vedder Canal with a fast action spinning rod rated 8 to 12lb. Slightly higher rating and the rod is much stiffer, so it eventually could be brought in.

islanddude

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »

Buy youself a shimano Sustain 4000 series. You will never have to buy another spinning reel. Have had one for ten yrs. I have used it in saltwater and fresh. I have done the maintainance on it and it still works like new.

fisherforever

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »

Buy youself a shimano Sustain 4000 series. You will never have to buy another spinning reel. Have had one for ten yrs. I have used it in saltwater and fresh. I have done the maintainance on it and it still works like new.
.  X2 I've been using a Sustain 4000 for five years, an excellent choice

Archer

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »

Spool it up.  If going for Steelies, I recommend a heavier line.  20lb braid will work nice on that reel, and 12lb leader will land steelies.

I have a Sienna 4000.  Its decent for the $20 I paid for it at Fred Meyer in Bellingham.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »

why not go for a low profile bait caster?
Tight lines to all