Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you look for in a used centerpin?  (Read 4960 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
What do you look for in a used centerpin?
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:11:22 PM »

OK - I'm sold on this centerpinning stuff. It sounds like the older pins are probably the better reels. What do I look for in a used reel? How do I test for trueness? What's better a bearing or the bushing reel? What is the minimum/practical sized pin for the Vedder Steelhead? What about the diameter of the pin? Is a bigger pin the better pin? How easy should a pin spin? I see these glamour shots of reels in the water with the fish - that can't be good for any reel. How sensitive to cleanliness are pin reels?

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: What do you look for in a used centerpin?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:06:28 AM »

i spoke to a collector who was as close to a being a reel expert as anyone I have ever met.  Really a center pin isnt much more than a backing plate, spindle, bearing/bushing, and drum so I think they are relatively easy to inspect.

Obviously if the spool spins freely then the main part of the reel is fine...just give it a twirl while holding the reel in your hand.  one thing you can watch is the level between the backing plate and the edge of the drum.  It should be at one constant level indicating the reel is still running true.  While the drum is spinning, try changing the angle of the reel in your hand, shift it bac and forth. it should feel "tight" if that makes any sense, the spool shouldnt shift at all.

When the spool isnt moving, gently lift and depress the drum up and down on the spindle.   this will show how much play is allowed for the drum to more along the spindle.  There should be very little movement here.  On an avon the is a small screew to make adjustments but I have found that turning that screw can effect the free spool action. 

One general comment.  Buy a reel that is totally exposed with no line guard.  If you get a backlash then being able to pull the line off the spool helps.  I have one old spoked center pin and opposed to a backing plate, its more of a cage.  The line runs between one of 4 posts and that set up can be a drag if you have an overrun. 

good luck

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:45:11 AM »

Thank you, This all helps.

Oliver

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:31:10 AM »

There used to be some info here  ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 06:14:26 AM by LimitKiller »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:04:29 PM »

Personally I prefer a pin with a line guard. I own an Islander Steelheader and it does not have a line guard. The line sometimes comes off the side. Pain in the butt when that happens.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »

I do a strip cast in the cable pool (where I may need a lotta line out and not much room to cast).  I hold my reel with the handles down and give the spool a little pull.  I just let the line come off and after 5-10 feet, i gently sling it out there...cant do that cast with a line guard very well.

Oliver

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 03:11:27 PM »

Well theres obviously a call for them if they are available but I'm never gonna use the one off of my Milner ever again. Different strokes...

Centerpin

• To Fish Or Not To Fish Such A Stupid Question
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

Just make sure it spins nice and smooth and make sure the outer rim is free of nicks and dings as this is going to be rubbing on your hands and fingers , and will not be very fun to fish with if it is rough or pitted.

Centerpin 8)
No Nookie Like Chinookie