Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floating baits for bottom fishing  (Read 2425 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
floating baits for bottom fishing
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »

So due to all the wind and rain I've been bottom fishing on the lake. I'm trying to find a suggestion on what floating baits or some sort of floating bead to lift my bait off the bottom. Any suggestions?
And if you know of any floating beads where have you bought them,
thanks

bluenoser

Re: floating baits for bottom fishing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 08:58:23 AM »

Power bait, corkies

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:31:03 AM »

--why not drop shot?
--weight on bottom hook attached at whatever distance above use drop shot hook, Palomar knot or T-turn swivel with short leader
--there are several ice fishing style floating jig heads and floating worm harness made for compac, should be available at any store that carries cgemery products
--for shallow up to 18 ft or so could go other way, slip float with weighted lure.

--worm weights used by bass fishers allow line to slide through if using floating bait.  could put small (fly fishing) strike indicator near the hook with line through bell sinker, worm or egg sinker, all these would allow bait to float off the bottom while giving enough weight to get the rig down. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:26:08 PM »

A dropshot rig with the hook above the weight would also work as Skaha mentioned. I wouldn't worry too much about whether the bait is floating or not. The bait would still work if it sits on the bottom. We've always just used deli shrimp on a sliding weight rig and there are just as many bites.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »

Powerbait floats and used to work, sure it still does.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:31:56 AM »

Popular set-up in the Columbia River is using miniature marshmallows and maggots as bait.

At the end of your mainline you attach a snap swivel. Off the snap you use a lighter test line of 8-12" and attach a, say one once weight. Often crafty individuals use a sparkplug, bolt, nut or the ever popular river stone and masking or electrical tape.

Off the other end of the barrel swivel, you attach your 4-6' leader, hook and bait as identified above.

Cast out to a seam and prop the rod in the rocks and enjoy a box of your favorite wobbly pops or hot sauce. When the fish hits, you'll see the rod tip jump.