Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Life vests  (Read 8459 times)

tumbleweed

Life vests
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:27 PM »

When wading in local rivers do most of you use a life jacket? If so what kind do you use? After hearing about all the people almost drowning during sockeye season it's got me thinking.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Life vests
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

I also bought a inflatable vest this year. It's a mustang wading belt style. Hope to never test it, but glad it's there as accidents do happen....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:02 PM »

Bought the automatic Mustang PFD MD 3053

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »

I personally like the Mustang Air Force inflatable collar.  Its good for not limiting mobility and has several types of actuators: "Jerk To Inflate", A water immersion actuator and a hydrostatic actuator.  Personally, I'd stick with the manual one for some pretty good reasons.  It rains a lot here and I've seen the immersion ones go off in a downpour.  The hydrostatic ones require immersion of several feet and since most of us are going to be standing in 4 to 5 feet of water it wont go off... period.  Eventually, I want to get the Mustang fishing vest with the Airforce collar built in but I'll have to return a few more empties to buy it.

FishOn36

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

I'm considering getting one of these, I don't know where might have the black/carbon color in stock. Apparently wholesalesports has the red one though  :-\

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=243

Brian

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »

It seems that everytime I have a big fish in swift currents, I eventually lose my footing and fall into the water.  Usually it's only knee or bum deep, but one day something's gonna happen.  I know my rod floats, so it will eventually get picked up by somebody.  But what about me? lol. After the first spill, I decided I wanted a bit of assurance, for that eventual what-if situation.

When wearing my chest waders, I use a mustang belt-type inflatable PFD for my wading belt. It does double-duty as a wading belt, and as a pfd if needed.  It's totally discreet, and doesn't get in the way of casting, fighting fish, etc.  35 lbs of floatation should be plenty, even if there's 20lbs of water in my waders, because most foam-type pfds have only 15lbs floatation.

It requires you to jerk-to-inflate, and then pull it over your head.

They're about $150.  About the price of a semi-decent reel.  But enough to save one's life.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:54:23 PM by Brian »

tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:48 PM »

It seems that everytime I have a big fish in swift currents, I eventually lose my footing and fall into the water.  Usually it's only knee or bum deep, but one day something's gonna happen.  I know my rod floats, so it will eventually get picked up by somebody.  But what about me? lol. After the first spill, I decided I wanted a bit of assurance, for that eventual what-if situation.

When wearing my chest waders, I use a mustang belt-type inflatable PFD for my wading belt. It does double-duty as a wading belt, and as a pfd if needed.  It's totally discreet, and doesn't get in the way of casting, fighting fish, etc.  35 lbs of floatation should be plenty, even if there's 20lbs of water in my waders, because most foam-type pfds have only 15lbs floatation.

It requires you to jerk-to-inflate, and then pull it over your head.

They're about $150.  About the price of a semi-decent reel.  But enough to save one's life.

That looks like a good idea, where could i buy one of those?

ShaunO

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »

That looks like a good idea, where could i buy one of those?

Try here:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/howtobuy.php

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »

I just bought the same PFD here: http://www.opentip.com/product_info.php?ref=9062&products_id=741734 They had a free shipping offer at the time.

Try this coupon code and you may get a 5% discount....  Coupon Code : 631829

I had it shipped to Parcel Express in Sumas.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:49:22 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

burnaby

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:18 PM »

" It requires you to jerk-to-inflate, and then pull it over your head."

Any demos of it being used in fast water. How easy is it to find the pull rope while you're possibly freaking out being ripped around the current.

I've actually seen someone holding their buddy's waist as he flopped around feet first down the Chehalis. Not a pretty sight.

WEEFISH

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »

I have used the collar style for a number of years and find it very versatile in any fishing or weather conditions. Over a tee-shirt or a Jacket it is very comfortable and adjustable in seconds. Worth the $$$.
<"((((><

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »

" It requires you to jerk-to-inflate, and then pull it over your head."

Any demos of it being used in fast water. How easy is it to find the pull rope while you're possibly freaking out being ripped around the current.

I've actually seen someone holding their buddy's waist as he flopped around feet first down the Chehalis. Not a pretty sight.

It a far cry better than floating down river without a life vest....   ::)

burnaby

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »

Point is what style is better, belt, collar or ???    for those dangerous situation like fast current where a life vest is really needed.

Might as well add bad to float down river without a paddle. If you can't reach it to deploy it that costly fanny back won't do you much good. ;D
It a far cry better than floating down river without a life vest....   ::)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:40:28 PM by burnaby »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 11:00:55 PM »

If you can't reach it to deploy it that costly fanny back won't do you much good. ;D

Mustang survival gear has been doing this probably longer than anyone out there. The gear they sell is all Transport Canada and Coast Guard approved. The belt vest is as easy to deploy as any other PFD. The difference is after it is deployed you need to put it over your head. Because it is already fastened to your waist their is nothing to tie or clip.

Hard to imagine the company producing a product that doesn't work or the agencies approving it. As a buyer just be aware of how these units work and whether you think they are suited for your situation. Any PFD is better than no PFD.....

burnaby

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »

alwaysfishn> Do you work for the legal or advertising dept. or MicroSoft?

Thanks for stating the obvious. Goes without saying products sold in Canada are gov't approved, buyers be aware of how they work and their suitability to your needs and that safety devices are mainly beneficial. Notice that last stmt applies to a myriad of products from cars to sewing machines. Pretty common sense to me but then the only thing absolute about common sense is that it is NOT common so perhaps stating it is beneficial to some, can't hurt  ;)

Smart money wants to know as you float down that river realizing deployment of that life vest is required is the belt as effective as the collar. Anyone with real life experience, perhaps seen a demos.

Without a doubt my mustang survival jacket would be the best for flotation and impact if ever I fall in; too bad I can't fish in it.