Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River nutrient program, an update  (Read 5170 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River nutrient program, an update
« on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »

Spent some quality time today in the upper reaches of the Chilliwack River and Foley Creek with Dave Harper, BCCF, collecting water samples and installing periphyton plates as part of the ongoing, science based nutrient enrichment program in this watershed.   These plates collect algae and are used to help measure the productivity of the river. This year, mainly due to high water levels that would negate value there will be no nutrients added, as there has for the last 5 years. This years monitoring, including upcoming fall electrofishing for salmonid fry, is important for control data that will be added to a 5 year final report compiled by Harper by late fall.  This report is thought to be key to securing future government funding for the Chilliwack and the other lower mainland rivers involved in this, imo, vital program.
BCCF funding for administration of this program has been cut, as is Harper’s employment as early as September, December this year by the latest.  A sad and stupid decision as this guy is part fish – lives and breathes them.  Anyone out there reading this that needs a great fish oriented biologist, look no further ;)

But, the good news is several advocacy groups stepped up with cash and offers of in kind assistance … and kept it alive, at least for now and into next year.  Kudos to Fred Helmer and Jason Cross for pulling this together.

Many thanks to the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association (CFGPA), the Chilliwack River Action Committee, Fraser Valley Angling Guides Association, Fred’s Custom Tackle, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, BC Federation of Driftfishers, the Steelhead Society of BC and the Kingfishers Angling Club, for their combined contribution of almost 12k.
A special thanks to DFO’s Chilliwack River Hatchery for their continued support and the BCFLNR for their offers of in kind assistance.
The monies committed will be held in trust with the CFGPA until needed.

Will try to keep all updated but I will be away, off and on, till late September.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:10:38 PM by Dave »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River nutrient program, an update
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »

Good work by the 2 Dave's.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:07:56 PM »

Any updates how this went and what took place with the plates that were installed?

What is the programs next steps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »

I should have an update shortly Chris.   I know some electroshocking still needs to be done and that will probably be within the next few weeks. 

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »

weather permitting , I will be out with dave next weekend doing the shocking.

who knows if the rain will stop.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »

I should have an update shortly Chris.   I know some electroshocking still needs to be done and that will probably be within the next few weeks. 
Had a very an enjoyable day with Dave and Jeremy Mothus from DFO’s  Chilliwack River Hatchery, finishing the sampling requirements for the nutrient program on this system.  Close to 200 steelhead and coho fry and parr, and one char, were electroshocked at three selected sites in the upper river.  All were weighed and measured and some scale samples taken. This information will be added to the previous 5 years sampling data that Harper has collected and combined into a final report expected in December. This report will be key to future, long term funding and perhaps more importantly, the administration, for this program, not only on the Chilliwack but other coastal rivers.

I have to add - I've done a lot of fish sampling and due to the nature of the samples needed, all was lethal.  Today's sampling was a joy for me when I saw the care and respect Harper showed these fish.  Just an example, each site we fished was app. 100’ of river  beach … rather than release the sampled fish into one spot he spread them out over this distance to assist the fish in finding another niche in a hostile environment.  After a lengthy and strenuous day (at least for me!), I doubt I would have done that.   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »

Good work guys.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »

Looks like this work will start next week if those said last year they would contribute to this program but  believe they need a bit more.

The Fraser Valley Salmon Society just sent a cheques for $1,000 this week. Anyone else want to help out?

Dave or I can give you the contact.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »

Thanks for the plug Chris, and thanks FVSS for the donation. For several reasons, this program has been in flux until just recently, but I'm confident nutrients will be added asap and importantly, during the proper hydrograph.  This rain has delayed things a bit with rising water ... We will keep this post going with updates.

ralfish

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:28 PM »

At the last SSBC directors meeting (a couple weeks ago) it was unanimously agreed  to donate $2000 for the continuation of this program. There have been a few good groups stepping up to the plate here along with some private individuals reaching into the pocket books to keep this work going.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »

Excellent news ralfish, thanks for the update.  For the private individuals donating to this cause ... tax receipts can be issued by the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association but I'm not sure if there is a minimum amount necessary. If these donors are interested they can contact me at Davidpbarnes@shaw.ca  and I can supply the contact information.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:44 PM »

Sorry to hear today because of lack of funding the program could not go ahead, hopefully the $3,250 shortfall can be raised for next year.