Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: waterborne vs airborne casts on skagit  (Read 2035 times)

kervana_mehiko

waterborne vs airborne casts on skagit
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:23:16 AM »

how much of an advantage do airborne casts have against waterborne casts when trying to be stealthy fish-wise?
would appreciate your opinions

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: waterborne vs airborne casts on skagit
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:21:30 AM »

if you mean fishing the Skagit River for trout, that have been fished over hard, the air borne casts should give you the advantage of stealth. However that assumes you are laying the fly down without creating much surface disturbance. Water borne casts just by their nature create more surface disturbance and may put some fish down. Just my two cents worth.

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

A water-borne cast (assuming that you're referring to the practice of using the surface tension of the water to load your rod) is very useful to eliminate or reduce the amount of false-casting that's necessary to deliver your fly to a specific location or lie. There have been times when using this strategy was the only way I could successfully deliver my fly to wary trout in very clear, shallow water.

Another extremely effective (and more accurate) method is using the "bow and arrow" cast when fishing over wary trout in situations where a stealth approach and presentation is essential for success...

>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

kervana_mehiko

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »

thanks. its always good to see the insights of others on certain techniques or strategies if you may. i find using water borne casts deliver distance with less effort (having the time to "pause" for a split second then deliver the cast) , as for air borne, a bit more effort (like when you start you can't stop). though i do understand that both styles have certain advantages over the other.  ;D