Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What dry flies for rainbows..  (Read 2940 times)

qescott

What dry flies for rainbows..
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »

I'm heading out to alice lake early tomorrow, and I'd like to do some dry fly fishing for a change. What sort of flies would work this time of year?
thanks

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: What dry flies for rainbows..
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 12:34:04 AM »

From what I know of drys (Which is not a lot!!!) ALWAYS! Carry Adams and Elk Hair Caddis on ya. They are just go to flies.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »

From what I know of drys (Which is not a lot!!!) ALWAYS! Carry Adams and Elk Hair Caddis on ya. They are just go to flies.

Good choices... and you can't go wrong with natural coloured deer hair tom thumbs...they will tear those flies apart and still hit them.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 07:51:21 PM »

Good choices... and you can't go wrong with natural coloured deer hair tom thumbs...they will tear those flies apart and still hit them.

Yeah? Good to know! As a beginner, I tend to beat the crap out of flies. Ive noticed, no matter where I get my flies from, the tom thumbs can be absolutely abused and still manage to float high and keep their shape decently enough. I personally have 4 or 5 different version ones for the simple fact that they are great beginner flies to use.

To the original question though, although we are new, I think half the fun is collecting flies. Even if you wont use them, or not often, I am working at getting a couple of all the "mainstream" flies in a couple different sizes. Although Im only up to about 60 or 70 now, slowly but surely the collection builds. I just got a set from Flyshack.com, and they seem to be good quality. Great selection there too. Out of the ones I have, I think Ive only fished about, 12 of them! But you bet that when I head out, they all come with me, JUST IN CASE!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

iCemAn

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:37:19 PM »

Even if you wont use them, or not often, I am working at getting a couple of all the "mainstream" flies in a couple different sizes. Although Im only up to about 60 or 70 now, slowly but surely the collection builds.

Start tying your own patterns and your fly boxes will fill up quick. I tied 90+ micro leeches the other week while watching a few old Bond movies. There are a lot of easy patterns that can cover so many different insects & attractors.

As for the original question, not sure that region but I would be planning on small patterns right now. Tom Thumbs, Parachute Adams (like others mentioned) and maybe even some smaller dun patterns, like a CDC.
Teach a man to fish and he'll play with his fly all day!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:08 AM »

-For low light conditions I often use bivisibles.. that is fly's with white or bright front hackle so you can see them easily... with back half;  brown, black or grey or whatever colour you wish to give the darker image that fish are looking at from below surface.  Can tie on different sizes.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:25:50 PM »

All good patterns, but if I had to choose just one It would be the "Irresistible". Try it and you will find out why it got its name.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:45 PM »

can someone. please post a pic of this irrisitable fly that newsman is talking about for us guys that dont tie flies,so we know what were looking for when we go fly shopping.thanxs ;D

qescott

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »