Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 3320 times)

purplehelmet

What am I doing wrong?
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:58:14 PM »

I cast right-handed & get it out there OK, but my tippet curves to the left when it hits the water.  Of course, I mend it for the drift, but is this avoidable?  Shouldn't your stroke draw a straight-line in the sky?  Could I be rolling my shoulder?  Any ideas?

thx
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Clarki Hunter

Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:54:04 PM »

I had the same problem when I first started casting in the summer, especially with wieghted flies.  I found that my stroke was curved.  I took my daughter's plastic golf club and made casts with it running against a wall.  I found that it was really tough not to allow the club to leave the wall at the end of the forward stroke.  I have a golf training laser that I use to trace crown molding in my livingroom and that helped me visualize/feel the proper straight line. 

I also practice in the backyard a fair bit and at the end of each session I'll let out 15' or so and just make tiny casts watching the line carefully for path and shape.  It's helped immensely.

purplehelmet

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »

Cool...  thx
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 02:12:46 PM »

It's a bit difficult to diagnose without watching you cast, so I;d personally recommend that you have a certified casting instructor or an accomplished caster watch and analyze your casting form.

You might try practicing your cast, perhaps as Clarki suggested. Sometimes video taping yourself can be helpful, as it often allows you to instantly recognize your faults...
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »

--the video is great idea as I can easily see what I might be doing.
--Also this "fault" can be useful in a stream where you might want to cast around a rock.
--Just like a golfer that is proficient and can use a slice or fade to their advantage... unfortunately mine just happens randomly.

--Some common reasons for your curve: flick of wrist at end of the cast, dropping the rod tip slightly ( creating whipping curve)
cast stroke to strong for the distance (bungee cord effect)

--if you really want to stretch it.. could be the eyes on the rod are not aligned properly with the spine ( this one is my favourite excuse as you just buy another rod to see if your cast remains the same or you could just check the spine)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 02:55:17 PM by skaha »

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »

--if you really want to stretch it.. could be the eyes on the rod are not aligned properly with the spine ( this one is my favourite excuse as you just buy another rod to see if your cast remains the same or you could just check the spine)

Now why haven't I ever thought of using that excuse?!? Thanks for mentioning that one. I'll be sure to use it the next time I flub my cast...  ;D
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »

--the video is great idea as I can easily see what I might be doing.
--Also this "fault" can be useful in a stream where you might want to cast around a rock.
--Just like a golfer that is proficient and can use a slice or fade to their advantage... unfortunately mine just happens randomly.

--Some common reasons for your curve: flick of wrist at end of the cast, dropping the rod tip slightly ( creating whipping curve)
cast stroke to strong for the distance (bungee cord effect)

That's funny.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"