Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wal-Mart's Angler fly rods  (Read 14746 times)

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
Wal-Mart's Angler fly rods
« on: February 03, 2007, 05:15:09 PM »

Has anyone here tried using Wal-Mart's Angler fly rods? I picked one up and it felt and looked like a 200 dollar Scott fly rod. I don't think they're made by Wal-Mart but they might be made for Wal-Mart.  I didn't buy one because there were only 7 weight models. The immediate downside about the Angler rods.... no lifetime warranty, two pieces only, and no case included.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: Wal-Mart's Angler fly rods
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »

long cast: unless I was getting that rod for a steal, and I knew who produced it, I would stay away from it. That is the whole thing behind stores like this as they try to undercut their competition.  The local fishing  shop may charge a bit more, but they more than make up for it in service and support if something should happen to the rod.  There is always an exception, but 99 % of the time I buy my rod and reels from local fishing shops, or individuals.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 05:52:57 PM by dennyman »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 05:58:05 PM »

Yeah, I wouldn't buy the rod myself but it actually looked and felt better than my Scott V2.  The Wal-Mart Angler rod cost 50 dollars which is pretty reasonable if you don't fish a lot. It even comes with a fighting butt. Wal-Mart does offer pretty good customer service and they do support their products if you have a problem. Just stay away from the Automotive department from Wal-Mart because the people who work at the Auto department will wreck your car by just touching it!!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:54:40 PM by Long_Cast »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »

Remember - you get what you pay for when it comes to rods. It's $50 for a reason. If it's a starter rod or for a kid who's prone to breaking the tip then I say go for it if it feels right. Who knows - maybe you'll get lucky.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

I would stay away from Wal-Mart and Canadian Tires for fishing rods and reels.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »

What's wrong with Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire for fishing rods and reels? You can still buy entry level quality reels from both stores. If you're lucky, you might find a entry level quality rod from either store.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 10:00:06 PM »

All their stuff is garbage. If you want tackle support your local shops not the box stores. Why not try the roe they have as well  ::)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 11:32:18 PM »

If you guys knew half as much as you like to think you know, you might actually give some credible advice. Here is my 2 cents you can find a good rod anywhere if you know what you are looking for. It helps to know how to build and repair rods which i have been doing for 40 years, so I think time has taught me a thing or two. As for the Walmart rods, one of our local wholesalers was been supplying Wal--- with fly rods for about six years now. Does "Expedition" ring a bell. For some good insite into rods and what they can do, both new and old, you might want to check out fly anglers on line and read some of Castwell's insite into the subject.

My final word on the subject: last spring my wife talked me into going with her for an evening to check out the junk during the Mission clean up. Traveling down one street my wife spots an old guy putting some old rods out on the curb. As a collector of old equipment I went over and checked it out. In the mix I spotted an old 6 foot glass fly rod. A nice addition to my collection since the short rods went out of fashion back in the 70's. Well last summer when I took my youngest fishing on the Thom she complained that the rods I had bought were too long and hard for her to manage. So when I got home I gave that 6 footer a face lift and tried it out. I was surprised how well it perfomed (I would rate it an 8 on a scale of 10), and my daughter loves it. So what did it cost me; $5 for materials and an hour of my time. Not bad for a happy kid and future angler.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Mike D.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 11:34:38 PM »

Angler is produced by REDL SPORTS....its the lower end of the gear they make...and if you look reely hard you will find those set ups in your local tackle shop....I myself for a first fly rod got an Omni-Angler (another redl rod) 7/8wt rod that is 8'6 and is a wacky rod...but it has done very good for me...from 15lb coho to 25lb chum....including the reel and line! it cost me 50 bucks.....after 5 yrs with it I finally broke a little part on it...but it still works...but it is now time to upgrade to a loop/sage.....not bad for a starter rod..that became pretty reliable...

Mike <"))))))><

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 10:15:22 AM »

Well, I think the general message was that you have to exercise caution when dealing with the two stores mentioned especially for major purchases. To me your fishing rod or reel, are major purchases because they  can either make or break your fishing day. Also, I have even bought things from the big retail stores, mostly not fishing related,  so yes not everything they sell is bad.  However, the reason I support local tackle shops is the good service they usually give. That means servicing and supporting the products they sell. If I don't get that service I take my business else where.  I can appreciate for the beginnng fisherman getting into fishing can be expensive so they want to stretch out their dollar.  However, the benefit of getting a rod with a limited lifetime warranty or lifetime warranty is in my opinion well worth it.  I speak from experience as I broke a drift rod and it was my fault entirely. I took it back to the local shop explained what had happened, they contacted the manufacturer, and at the end of the day for a processing and shipping fee of 25 dollars I got a brand new rod.  That is the type of service and support advantage that local shops can provide.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »

My beef with buying from Walmart/ Crappy Tire is that you are contributing to the downfall of The Local Fly & Tackle Shop.  There's no way that small specialty stores can compete on the basis of price alone.  Instead, they are able to offer advice, good service and knowledge of their products and their applications.  Their owners are also often involved in conservation and restoration societies which improve out fisheries.  We have all taken advantage of these services and I hope they around in the future.  Thus, I don't mind paying the extra money from a reputable tackle store as it is an investment for the future of the sport.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 05:42:08 PM »

Thanks for the support guys, I was a bit concerned as to what kind of responces would be posted after my post. Since I have not been black listed yet here are a few more things to consider.

I too scan the tackle section of the big box stores when I tired of watching the wife & daughters try on piles of clothes & shoes. I don't need too, I could open my own store with the room full of stuff I never use, but I have many freinds and workmates who are on a budget and can't afford to by everything that comes down the pike. I also have alot of people who read my weekly sport fishing column and who have taken one of the classes I teach, in thanks I like to pass on the bargins I find.

So here are a few tips.

#1 when you are looking for a rod; think of the person you are buying for! It will be there rod and no-one elses. So nix to what anyone else says make the owner happy! Put it in their hand and let them flex it. Price does not make a good rod, or a happy owner!

#2 shop around and don't forget to check out the clearance bins. I have found first class rods in clearence for as little as $20. When I find these gems, I buy them all because I know I turn them over in my freinds store for double or thriple my money.

#3 garage sales. They are not as good as they were 15 & 20 years ago but you can still find some nice rods if you are willing to to look and wait.

As for big box taking business away from the tackle shop owners. I don't buy it. If the shop owner is good at customer service and creative he or she should have no problems. When is the last time you saw a used equipment section in a tackle shop? Before I got into teaching and writing I use to sell what I called R&R Rods (repaired & refinished) out of my freinds tackle shop. I bought rods no-one else wanted for whatever reason, for $1 to $5 then repaired and refinished them. After I the rods were redone and met my standards I sold them for $40 to $90 each and I sold 100 to 200 a year.   
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 11:49:28 PM »

Yea,gearage sale is s good way to pick up some cheap  gears... but make sure you know its in a good working condiction, sometimes it might cost you 20-30 bucks just to replace a reel part on the reel that you spend 5 bucks on a garage sale...  Don't let the price fool you. The best way is go to your local tackle store, ask for help, tell them your budget and what you looking for.. They will be really happy to serve you... 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »

Like some others have said. Dont over look used gear. Most just have normal wear on them. I have gotten some good deals from these fishing forums on used gear.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »

Like some others have said. Dont over look used gear. Most just have normal wear on them. I have gotten some good deals from these fishing forums on used gear.

Yep! got a nice 7/8wt  cortland today from bryan and for 40 bux it beats any walmart deal by a long shot!  :D
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find