Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are some good flys to use right now for cutties  (Read 3592 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
What are some good flys to use right now for cutties
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:22:58 PM »

Well, I'm gonna do some different stuff this winter...Still be on the pursuit of course for steelhead but I also want to start hitting the Harrison and Frazer for some cutties when the crowds on the Vedder etc. make me crazy....

I know in the spring you fish muddlers etc. to represent fry patterns but if you were to go now through say Jan. Feb. wouldn't maybe egg patterns be better?? Or what would you trout hounds use???

Also CMK, I noticed in some of your pic's your using some interesting and colorful fly's...What are those and what are you primarily targeting with um and what are you getting as well???

Many thanks, XGM

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: What are some good flys to use right now for cutties
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:17:09 PM »

Tan rabbit flesh flies or rolled muddlers with a tuft of tan rabbit for the tail.

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 05:27:50 PM »

Xgolfman, Are you refering to these flies? http://www.fishingwithrod.com/member/gallery/album56  If so, those are some top water bass flies :P  I guess you could use the smaller ones for cutties off the beaches.

Jim has the right idea for this time of the year, the cutties are gorging themselves on eggs and salmon flesh. I like to nymph with egg beads or egg patterns under strike indicators. I fish flesh flies on sink tips with a deep dead drift presentation. I primarily tie my flesh flies on tubes and use a straight eye tube fly hook for them. They also work well on bulltrout and resident rainbows  ;)  Later on in the Spring, small stonefly nymphs, soft hackles and fry patterns work well on cutties.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »

I thought I saw some interesting pink patterns...Do you have any shots of your flesh patterns...or rabbit ones??? got the muddlers down and egg patterns...very interested in flesh patterns..

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 08:08:53 PM »

Since I have been privelaged to have a peek into the CM's top secredt fly box, perhaps I could give you some ideas.

The older the carcass, the lighter the color of flesh.  I find that beige, with a touch of light pink/orange for a bit of color, to be good.  A couple strands of flash wouldn't hurt either, espcecially if the water is colored a bit.

I think CM likes to tie his on tubes but that is a personal preference.  Tie in a sparse tail of light pink/orange marabou and the wrap the body with beige marabou or rabbit strips.  Or you could tie the colored marabou in last at the head, your choice, but make it sparse  Personally I like to use rabbit strips as it adds some weight and just use a regular hook shank with a stinger hook.  Maybe have some wrapped with lead for those extra deep flows.  I think the key is to make the light pink/orange barely visible.

Worked pretty well last year for me the few times I tried it.

I'm sure CM can and will elaborate.

Shane

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 08:18:28 PM »

If your refering to this pic http://www.fishingwithrod.com/albums/album57/KlingonsSRC.jpg for the pink pattern, its actually a pink version of the California Neil that I like to use for beach fishing  ;D
Here's a pic

My flesh fly is pretty simple, a pink marabou tail and a tan (flesh) rabbit fur body, tied on a plastic tube  ;)
Here's a pic
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 05:23:56 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »

I used a muddler this time last year and did very well....I don't think cutties are that selective....they are VERY aggressive feeders, even in the winter.  I'm only going on my own experience...keep in mind we flyfishermen are notorious for tying and using a ridiculous number of flies when you only ever really need a few......hundred  ;)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 10:15:42 PM »

Very interesting...I tie the green version of that one CMk has in his pic's above and have been trying them..(unsuccessfully I should add) for coho's....I'll be getting some beige rabbit strips..haven't tried that pattern at all yet..has anyone had any luck on small nymphs???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 10:17:47 PM by Xgolfman »