Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watch and Tie, coming in 2007  (Read 9406 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Re: Watch and Tie, coming in 2007
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 07:33:17 PM »

"I think they key in on those rubber legs more than anything. I had some success with Chernobly ants, which is nothing more than just foam and rubber legs. Its sometimes the simple flies that catch the most fish "

agreed, caught a lOT of trout on this fly...I would also like to see the hopper pattern you and/or newsman have...also wouldn't mind seeing some muddler patterns, don't do so well on deer hair patterns...

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »

Well Carlo how 'bout you tie a Kauffman's Stone. I've always had trouble getting that pattern to look good.

Kauffman's are one of my #1 go to patterns. The trick is to coat the turkey wing with fex cement first. I struggled with that pattern for years until I broke down and bought Kauffman's book.

If you like that stone nymph pattern you will love the Stimulator for the adult pattern. Do yourself a favour and by Randal Kauffman's nymph manual and dry fly book, a bit pricey and hard to get this side of the border, but I'd put money on it that affer you get your copies you will be glad yo have them.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 10:57:43 PM »

Nuggy, sounds like a reasonable request. I'll put that on my list of flies to tie for the "Watch and Tie"

IH8XC and Newsman, the idea of this feature is to teach people how to tie basic fly patterns for BC waters. It's not a competition to tie the most intricate or complicated patterns on camera. I want most people with some basic tying skills to be able to tie the flies on this feature. I'm not worried about my own abilities to tie complicated patterns  ::)  For those who may not know I have been tying for 18 years and even tied commercially for a short period during my teens  :P

Do you have any pics of this Rockin Hopper Newsman?
Here's my hopper in the yap of a Thompson rainbow.

I think they key in on those rubber legs more than anything. I had some success with Chernobly ants, which is nothing more than just foam and rubber legs. Its sometimes the simple flies that catch the most fish  ;)

You miss read me there Crome Rockin is not the name of the hopper pattern. I used the medafor rocken as in hot.

As for basic patterns; I would suggest the a good hopper is a go to for any of our interior river during the summer. My experince over the last 36 years has netted my more fish with hopers on our streams than caddis.

I have always found "Joe's Hopper" tied with a foam body hard to beat.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 08:28:29 AM »

I like Stimulators. They are a fun and fairly easy tie. They float high in the water and are easy to see.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »

I have to wonder whether the special glued goose feather wing cases are really that important.  Look at Brooks stone, theres no wingcase and it works great.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:40:11 AM by Matt »

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »

I'd like to see a kick-my friend darner pattern! I've been tying various dragon patterns for over 30 years and they catch fish but they don't slay them like you would hope they would when the trout are  keying on the real deal.  I'm really happy with my red-shoulder dragon nymph pattern (gomphus) but the lake I fish most often doesn't have a gomphus population to speak of at all.  Thank god they gorge on chronies there at the same time the multitudes of darners are hatching. 

Would appreciate any pictures from anybody of your favourite go-to darner pattern, and of course would like to see the best possible darner as part of the video series.  Sounds like a great idea! Looking forward to checking it out.