Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urgent Fisheries Announcement to all Vedder River Anglers  (Read 6623 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Urgent Fisheries Announcement to all Vedder River Anglers
« on: July 08, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »

Urgent Fisheries Announcement to all Vedder River Anglers
After a number of meetings and great transparent dialogue between Sumas First Nations, the Sportfishing Community and DFO we can announce the FSC fishery (Food, Social, Ceremonial) will be starting. This is the second year of Sumas First Nation (Semá:th) Conservation, Guardianship and Harvest Plan. The FVSS supports this fishing plan and continues work at building good unified relationships for shared fisheries. Creating sustainable fisheries for all for present and future generations is our goal.
Sumas First Nation fishing time:
Friday July 9,2021 - 12:00pm  to Sunday July 11, 2021 - 9pm (please check with DFO permitting to ensure accuracy).
The following week will be Thursday July 15 to Sunday July 18 - times to be determined but likely 12 noon Thursday to 9pm Sunday.
We encourage all anglers to be aware, educated about the fishery and to be respectful in all manner so all fishers can have opportunity to fish and to harvest fish.
Any concerns or if you need more info or have questions, please reach out to me directly anytime.
Dean Werk - President of the FVSS

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Urgent Fisheries Announcement to all Vedder River Anglers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 07:16:23 AM »

Anyone know how many red springs are returning now on average ?

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 08:47:32 AM »

Cool. Hope it goes smoothly!

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 03:12:15 PM »

I am trying to understand why this message needs to be labeled as urgent? Sounds dramatic I suppose?

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »

I am trying to understand why this message needs to be labeled as urgent? Sounds dramatic I suppose?
It's a time-proven tactic to keep the masses away while the fishing is good. ;D

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 04:43:51 PM »

Can anyone explain why this event serves the goal of Creating sustainable fisheries

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 05:11:21 PM »

Can anyone explain why this event serves the goal of Creating sustainable fisheries

For a start the Chinook fisheries in the Chilliwack are only sustainable via the hatchery. Historically there was not much a chinook run in the river and best I know none in the summer. In 2019 about 1.5 million smolt and parr were released into the river of which about 1/3 were summer chinook.

When you say sustainable, what do you mean? There are at least 3 potential user groups for these fish. These FN openings are in lieu of closed FN fisheries in the Fraser.

I'd also note this segment of the run has never produced the returns of the fall chinook. At best the fishery is kind of fair to middlin' and not a big numbers fishery.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 05:13:09 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 05:51:38 PM »

Closed FN fisheries on the Fraser.....?

Ill believe that when i see it.lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »

well there are openings for ceremonial purposes with limited participation. There are no sanctioned food openings.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 08:44:52 AM »

Thanks Rod that was a very good information post of the Sumas FN Vedder fishery. It sounds like it is well thought out and likely to have limited impact on the recreational fishery this summer.

stsfisher

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 09:06:18 AM »

I have no issue with this fishery, however last night our family was invited to a neighbors for appies and drinks. The conversation turned to fishing as I have been out looking for one of these unicorns the past 3 days in the lower river with limited success. The neighbor then pulled out a slab of red spring and said he bought 90lbs of it from a local FN........

bobby b

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 10:11:42 AM »

Well that is truly disappointing to say the least...

I was out yesterday and did manage to hook a Red Spring only to lose it at the shore! Doh!!!

I did not see much other fishing activity though.... I am assuming the FN band net the river close to the mouth?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 11:24:29 AM »

well there are openings for ceremonial purposes with limited participation. There are no sanctioned food openings.

ahh yes,the $10.00 per fish ceremonial fish
Got it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2021, 03:18:20 PM »

ahh yes,the $10.00 per fish ceremonial fish
Got it.

It's 25$/fish now Bruce. Inflation doesn't spare anyone.  ::)