Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage Rods - xp to z  (Read 6195 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Sage Rods - xp to z
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »

I've been using my 10' 5 wt. XP on the pinks and it's been fine although I haven't hooked any over the five pound mark, yet to really determine if I'm under powered. I always play my fish hard but one of the differences I have found compared to trout is how the pinks never give up and the way they bear down at the boat almost refusing to be netted.  Don't know how it compares to fishing them off shore since I'm always fishing out of my boat.  All of them have swum away with a lot of gusto upon release, so I don't think they've been over played.

Still haven't felt that I've found the perfect combination in the lower Fraser in terms of line and weighted or non-weighted fly.  So far I've hooked fish using a floating line with weighted and non-weighted flies, 10' type 3 sinking tip, and clear intermediate sinking tip.  Nothing to write home about, however.   I've been quite frustrated at times when the fish have been thick and they've refused all offerings....it's at this point that I keep wondering if I'm too deep or too shallow.  I know there's groups of non-biters but my buddy whose using gear is hooking up continuously to the point where I feel it might be more fun to switch over. 

I have definitely found the fish to be far more aggressive in the upper Fraser (Herrling Is. to Hope) where the water column is far more restricted.....WAY more hookups!!  The fish aren't as pretty but I guess it doesn't matter since I haven't kept any yet.  Don't have to worry about the tides, either.  Last night while fishing the lower Fraser due to the tides it wasn't until the last 1/2 hour of light before there were enough fish around to get a few hookups.  The first couple of hours it was just casting practice where I was.  Hardly saw any fish at all.