Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rod recommendation  (Read 3690 times)

drift

rod recommendation
« on: May 23, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »

I'm looking at buying a spinning rod for the wife to use.The rod she is using now is an 8'6"  heavy action.She couldn't get much distance with her casts and found the rod a bit heavy which it is.Tried to get her going on baitcast reel but not much success was had.I'm looking at the 10'6 range but don't want to break the bank.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Rod will be used as a backup mostly.thanks

P.S rod will be used in the Kitimat for springs,coho,chum, :)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: rod recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »

shimano technium has a 10'6 i believe, good rod overall, backbone for springs and fairly well priced
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

drift

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 06:40:19 PM »

I'll have a look at them,thanks kingpin! :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:07:52 PM »

I have a Trophy XL that works great for whatever I use it for!!  Usually I am using it for Fraser Springs and Chum on the Squamish!!  It is an awesome rod for the price!!  I believe that are aound the $115-$120 mark!!  Check out Berry's and they could help you out!! ;)  Good luck. :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

drift

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »

Thanks again! :)

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 01:57:26 PM »

Is your wife a beginner? If so, I am wondering why you would start her on a bait casting reel. These reels are very troublesome and not only for beginners. I would recommend to start her of on a spinning reel. These reels are easy to handle without having to remember to many things all at once and dealing with line backlash. Just a thought. :)
Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

drift

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 03:12:37 PM »

I did start her off with a spinning reel,she has it casting pretty good.The rod she is using is more of a trolling(salmon)rod,it's short and heavy.I learned the baitcast with not much problem so we gave it a shot,she still needs some practice.Just trying to make her day of fishing a little easier and more enjoyable!When she did try the abu baitcast it was on my 10'6"trophy xl,she was amazed at the difference in weight of the two.I'm know there are lighter makes but compared to the one she is using it is a flyweight.She is petite and I don't want her arms looking like popeye! :D :D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »

I have a Trophy XL that works great for whatever I use it for!!  Usually I am using it for Fraser Springs and Chum on the Squamish!!  It is an awesome rod for the price!!  I believe that are aound the $115-$120 mark!!  Check out Berry's and they could help you out!! ;)  Good luck. :)

I'll second that but go to riverside fly and tackle in PoCo. Great rod for the price and personally i think it feels nicer than the technium

drift

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:52:09 PM »

thanks for replys.I also love my trophy xl,never realized they made spin rods.I'm about a 20 hr drive from poco so I'll have a look at our local tackle shop.I took a look for the Technium but they didn't have any in stock.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 07:44:57 PM »

so Drift which part of B.C. are you located?

mikethesportsfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 08:13:45 PM »

I'd second Kingpin on the Shimano but also would mention Quantum Cold Water these are a pretty stiff 10' rod that are perfect for anykind of fishing.

Mike <")))))><

drift

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »

so Drift which part of B.C. are you located?

Up in Kitimat :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »

Any Zellers (where I work) has all fishing gear 60 % off. got some nice fly gear there and rod reel etc, for dic. And the employee discount whohou ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

drift

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 07:42:58 AM »

Any Zellers (where I work) has all fishing gear 60 % off. got some nice fly gear there and rod reel etc, for dic. And the employee discount whohou ;D

60% off,sounds like a sweet deal,any decent quality stuff? :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 08:26:33 AM »

I bought a reel ($40) etc for more than reasonable prices(60% off). Only bad part is the good stuff is gone and some stores have no fishing gear at all. Trying out anew location today then will drift back to Scotsdale store to scrounge up last remaining goodies.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?