Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New angler questions  (Read 7078 times)

epok

New angler questions
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »

Hey everyone,

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Nick, I work for BFI Canada and just recently got this crazy addiction to fishing! My favorite fish to eat is coho or rainbow trout. This was my first year salmon fishing for the season and I enjoyed it, acutally I loved it. I have fished for trout/perch/kokanee before but never large game fish. So I am beginner to fishing when it comes to river/tidal waters. So I have a couple beginner questions that I am hoping someone could answer for me.

1) I am really wanting to get into fishing so I would like to buy a good rod and reel for steelhead but I am on a budget and I thought to myself who would know better than you guys. So I was wondering what you guys would reccomend and how much would it cost?
2) I would love to try fishing for other species aswell but I am not familiar with fishing spots. I live in aldergrove and can travel to where ever but I dont know what lakes/river systems hold what fish. I would love to fish for steelhead and all types of trout.
3) What fish are the best to fish during our seasons in BC?

Thanks for all the future help.

Epok!

corgi

wonder

Re: New angler questions
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »

Some great beginner rods for sale in the buy&sell section of this site. Maybe like an Abu Garcia with a shimano 10'6 and some 15# line. You can pretty much use that setup all year and it'll cost u under 200$

jacklam999

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:32 PM »

Go with a Fenwick hmx rod + shimano sahara 2500 spool with 8 pounds line. Cause around 150-170$, but can use forever and the rod bent pretty good when it come to big fish. I use the set up for everything, pinks, coho, trout,bulltrout

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 01:38:38 PM »

Jack he's looking for a river rod, level wind will serve much better if float fishing than a coffee grinder.

epok

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »

epok

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:50:09 PM »

Some great beginner rods for sale in the buy&sell section of this site. Maybe like an Abu Garcia with a shimano 10'6 and some 15# line. You can pretty much use that setup all year and it'll cost u under 200$

I cant post in that section yet but when I can I will look that up?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 02:37:59 PM »

I believe it's 50 posts

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:29 PM »

Jack he's looking for a river rod, level wind will serve much better if float fishing than a coffee grinder.

But is it still possible to float fish a river with a spinning set up?

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »

Hey everyone,

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Nick, I work for BFI Canada and just recently got this crazy addiction to fishing! My favorite fish to eat is coho or rainbow trout. This was my first year salmon fishing for the season and I enjoyed it, acutally I loved it. I have fished for trout/perch/kokanee before but never large game fish. So I am beginner to fishing when it comes to river/tidal waters. So I have a couple beginner questions that I am hoping someone could answer for me.

1) I am really wanting to get into fishing so I would like to buy a good rod and reel for steelhead but I am on a budget and I thought to myself who would know better than you guys. So I was wondering what you guys would reccomend and how much would it cost?
2) I would love to try fishing for other species aswell but I am not familiar with fishing spots. I live in aldergrove and can travel to where ever but I dont know what lakes/river systems hold what fish. I would love to fish for steelhead and all types of trout.

Thanks for all the future help.

Epok!

I am by no means an expert fisherman, I've only river fished for four years, but I'll offer my 2 cents :)

As far as a good rod and reel goes for steelhead fishing in the winter and salmon fishing in the warmer months goes, I would first reccomend that you get a baitcaster (level wind) rod and reel. This is much better for float fishing than a spinning reel/rod. You could get a center pin rod and reel but I'm sure that most would agree that this is not the best choice for a beginner! A good entry level baitcaster rod should set you back $100-$200. A good all around rod would be 10 feet 6 inches long and have a line rating of somewhere around 8-17, or 10-20, or 12-25 and a power rating of medium or medium/heavy. I like the Shimano Convergence ($100ish), Shimano Technium ($175ish), and Fenwick HMX ($150ish), but lots of other options available.

For a level wind reel I like Shimano or Abu Garcia, but several other good ones for sure. The Shimano Corvlus or Cardiff are good entry level baitcasters (around $100). For Abu I like the 6500 C3 if you're trying to save $.

Always good used deals on this site, Craig's List, etc. and I would certainly look there just MAKE SURE you know what you're buying and if you don't know then get someone to help you buy used gear.

If you want to save the hassle and spend a bit more to buy new then I would go to a good tackle shop near where you live, tell them your budget and what type of fishing you're doing, and they'll hook you up. You can get a new rod, reel and mono on the reel for under $250 easily.

As for rivers to fish...I live in Chilliwack and primarily fish the Vedder and Chehailus. There are many other rivers to fish in the lower mainland and I'm sure others will be able to offer better advise here. I don't know a lot about lakes in this area we primarily lake fish in the interior where we have a cabin + boat.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »

But is it still possible to float fish a river with a spinning set up?

It is certainly "possible" to float fish with a spinning rod. I did it for my first year river fishing and I caught fish. However a level wind reel/rod is a much better choice. Why? A level wind reel drifts a float quite nicely, you just have to lightly "thumb" the spool, and if you get a fish on you can press hard on the spool adn set the hook at the same time, then once a "fish on!" is confirmed you can disengage freespool by turning the handle. With a spinning reel you need to have the bail open for line to come off, which makes for a very akaward hook set trying to get that bail flipped over. Trust me I float fished for an entire year with a spinning set up and it is not ideal. There is a reason why 99% of the guys float fishing have either a level wind or center pin.

Spinning reels/rods ARE great for non-float fishing! For example chucking spoons, spinners, twitching jigs, etc. Any tiem you're casting out and reeling in spinning set ups are great. For freespooling and floatfishing, not so great.

Suther

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »

I believe it's 50 posts

Nah, its only 5 or 10 for the buy/sell section. 50 is the Reports section.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »

This is a good score. The rod is an excellent all around workhorse. Not sure what 301 reel this is but I asked for more details. Keep an eye on this post.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34909.new#new

Also if you reel with your LEFT hand then you want a reel ending in "1" like this reel. If you reel right then it will will end in "0." For example 300 vs 301, and so on.

If the reel is a Calcutta (likely a Calcutta B) then I would jump on this deal ASAP. If it's a Cardiff, still not a bad deal I have a Cardiff 401 and it's a decent reel. If it's a Corvalus, meh, it's pretty cheap but nothing wrong with it.

epok

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »

Awesome thanks for the help all.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »

Here's my fishing schedule, month to month:

January to March - steelhead
April - nothing
May to July - still water / trout
August - if you are lucky, there will be a Sockeye opening this year
September - Pinks in the odd years
October & November - salmon in the rivers
December - nothing

You can still fish for steelhead in April - fly only
Trout fishing starts to slow down by the middle of July for me

I sometimes fit in another still water trip or two in the fall