Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: casting a super silex reel  (Read 7066 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
casting a super silex reel
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »

Ok so I'm new at this and have never cast a center or a silex reel before. I've been looking up casting a cp and then I realized the two silex reels I have are not open all around like an islander or other cp reels. So my question for you guys on here that own silex/super silex reels is what kind of cast do you use? Also do you have anywhere on the web that explains it or info, I've found nothing.
thanks guys

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: casting a super silex reel
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:53:47 PM »

whereabouts do you live Vancook ?? we could get together and i could help you out. I fish a Silex myself

i normally use a sidearm swing cast because its nice and easy and i could do it in my sleep. having said that though there is alot of casts you can use to get it out there with a CP. i have done some strange casts in certain situations and im not sure if they actually have names for the cast LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »

If you do a search on this site I believe there is already posted info.  Most experienced silex fisherman use a side arm cast from the left since all the reels are right handed.  Drag is applied using the last 3-4 fingers of your left hand on the top of the reel to stop the reel from spinning when your float, etc. hits the water, otherwise you'll backlash  When playing a fish drag is applied the same way.

People who fish Superbas have to use their right index finger to control the free wheeling button/lever (for lack of a better name) because it's spring loaded.  When not in play your reel is on "clicker mode".  With the Super the lever is either on (clicker) or off (free wheeling).  Once the cast is made people usually keep it in free wheeling mode so the float can be allowed to drift easily down river.  When a fish is hooked just put ther clicker on because there's no sweeter sound this side of heaven than the scream your reel will make when a fish takes a long run!

You should try to learn to cast both forehand, backhand, and overhead because there will be times when there is no room to do a forehand cast from the left side.  There are other casts but focus on these ones until you master them.  I got my Silex for Xmas when I was nine back in the mid sixties and it's still going strong and is still my "go to" reel even though I own other centre pins.  A Silex should last you a life time.  Another nice thing about them.... you can fish them in minus twenty degree weather in places like the T and they'll never freeze up on you like a baitcaster.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:33:47 PM »

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I was wondering if the casting was the same as other centerpin videos i've watched. I have 2 super silex reels, a 3 1/2 " and 3 3/4".

whereabouts do you live Vancook ?? we could get together and i could help you out. I fish a Silex myself

i normally use a sidearm swing cast because its nice and easy and i could do it in my sleep. having said that though there is alot of casts you can use to get it out there with a CP. i have done some strange casts in certain situations and im not sure if they actually have names for the cast LOL

I live in south vancouver, almost at the burnaby borderline.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »

im in Surrey so that may be a bit far to drive for a few casting tips. honestly the reel is not all that tricky to cast, start with short casts and work up your distance, trying to toss a big cast will most likely cause backlash which really sucks with a caged reel because it will have to be picked out much like a baitcaster.

Mastercaster - you mentioned you cast off your left ?? i usually cast off my right side (backhanded) because its just easiest. I can do it the other way of course but only if i have to LOL

Vancook - I would use the bigger of 2 reels for salmon/steelhead fishing as a good all around reel. the smaller would also be fine except for springs maybe  ;)
Check out our new blog

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15:49 PM »

im in Surrey so that may be a bit far to drive for a few casting tips. honestly the reel is not all that tricky to cast, start with short casts and work up your distance, trying to toss a big cast will most likely cause backlash which really sucks with a caged reel because it will have to be picked out much like a baitcaster.

Mastercaster - you mentioned you cast off your left ?? i usually cast off my right side (backhanded) because its just easiest. I can do it the other way of course but only if i have to LOL

Vancook - I would use the bigger of 2 reels for salmon/steelhead fishing as a good all around reel. the smaller would also be fine except for springs maybe  ;)

thanks for the advice
I find myself in surrey quite often in the Guildford mall area, so maybe later on I could get some pointers. I'm taking my reels into the shop next week in the meantime.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »

If you do a search on this site I believe there is already posted info.  Most experienced silex fisherman use a side arm cast from the left since all the reels are right handed.  Drag is applied using the last 3-4 fingers of your left hand on the top of the reel to stop the reel from spinning when your float, etc. hits the water, otherwise you'll backlash  When playing a fish drag is applied the same way.

People who fish Superbas have to use their right index finger to control the free wheeling button/lever (for lack of a better name) because it's spring loaded.  When not in play your reel is on "clicker mode".  With the Super the lever is either on (clicker) or off (free wheeling).  Once the cast is made people usually keep it in free wheeling mode so the float can be allowed to drift easily down river.  When a fish is hooked just put ther clicker on because there's no sweeter sound this side of heaven than the scream your reel will make when a fish takes a long run!

You should try to learn to cast both forehand, backhand, and overhead because there will be times when there is no room to do a forehand cast from the left side.  There are other casts but focus on these ones until you master them.  I got my Silex for Xmas when I was nine back in the mid sixties and it's still going strong and is still my "go to" reel even though I own other centre pins.  A Silex should last you a life time.  Another nice thing about them.... you can fish them in minus twenty degree weather in places like the T and they'll never freeze up on you like a baitcaster.

thanks for the advice. I'll definately do some practice casting in the park before I head out to the rivers in january

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »

I took both reels into sea-run fly and tackle today and they were extremely helpful. Unfortunately my larger super silex doesnt appear to be fishable  :(
once opened up you can see a chunk had broken off and been patched with a resin of some kind, I was told it possible to fish it but there's a chance it could blow out on me on the side.

The good news is my smaller reel is in good fishable condition and just needs a few drops of oil. Taking in my old rods next to have them checked out.
I wonder if I can have the other reel repaired..anyone have experience with this?

HOOK - thanks for telling me about searun, they were very helpful to me.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »

Glad to help Vancook, i keep meaning to take mine into Searun also to have it tinkered on.

sorry to hear about your reel  :'(

try these two things because they might be able to repair your reel or at least tell you if they might be able to.

try emailing Hardy of England directly and tell them whats wrong with the reel, add a picture of the damage as it will help greatly

also try emailing John Milner of Milner reels. I had another guy tell me he had sent his Silex to him and he repaired the reel foot for him. Im not sure if they would do machining work on the reel though so they may not be able to help but its still worth a try. as i said in the other i would add a picture in your contact message.

other then that you could ask someone at Searun if they know somewhere you could send it. If not close it back up and have it cleaned and put it on display  ;D
Check out our new blog

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »

also try emailing John Milner of Milner reels. I had another guy tell me he had sent his Silex to him and he repaired the reel foot for him. Im not sure if they would do machining work on the reel though so they may not be able to help but its still worth a try. as i said in the other i would add a picture in your contact message.

If anyone could fix it John could.  Afterall that's how he got in the biz....fixing old reels.  When he used to live in New West I remember as a kid going to his place with my dad to have Silex reels repaired....boy, that was back in the late sixties.