Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: May I suggest something outrageous!  (Read 7071 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: May I suggest something outrageous!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:16 AM »

Some of you have misunderstood me!
I'm not against stocking the lakes with fish, I'm just against announcing the dates and times when the lakes are stocked.
How many fish were put in and of what size.
When these announcements come and everybody swarms the lakes like buzzards.
And let me tell you when I see a guy catching a fish every 10 minutes and he sits on the lake for 3 hours, he ain't catching only the limit.
They should keep that under wraps. If they did, there would be fish in the lakes on more consistant basis.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:08 AM »

The problem is the "hog at the trough" guys who continually fish the lake until there are no more... It's really unfortunate, the greed of some people.

I have no problem with new anglers of any age, but I think preference should be given to families first with young children. They don't have the attention spans to sit more than 30 minutes without action.

Young families never seem to get a break these days, I really feel for them... I don't know why anyone bothers to have kids anymore, it's such tough work.

When I was six, dad decided it was time to get me into my first trout. After one day at an age restricted lake and coming up empty handed, my dad took me to TeePee trout farm at Cultus where I caught my first one:

Let young kids have a chance to catch fish...

Cheers,
Nicole

I'm suprised there are no age restricted lakes in Vancouver:

1Duncan Bings Creek
1Lake Cowichan Mayo Lake
1Nanaimo Chase River
1Nanaimo Millstone River, between Brannan Lake and Pearson Bridge
1Port Alberni Bainbridge Lake
1Port Alberni Rogers Creek
1Campbell River Willow Creek
2Coquitlam Como Lake
2Abbotsford Lonzo Creek, including tributaries
2Pemberton One-Mile Lake
2Sardis Sardis Park Pond
3Kamloops Paul Creek, below Paul Lake
4Fernie Coal Creek, below the old railway bridge located about 7 km above the Elk River
4Invermere Dorothy Lake
4Canal Flats Fisher Maiden Lake
4Cranbrook Idlewild Lake
4Warder Norbury Creek
5Quesnel Baker Creek, below Pinnacle Provincial Park
7Prince George Beaverley Creek
7Prince George McMillan Creek
7Mackenzie Mugaha Creek
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »

What lake in Vancouver do you think should be age restricted?

My vote would be for trout lake, it has lots of access.

Maybe Surrey needs one too by the sounds of the population growth there.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 12:10:26 PM »

Nice photos Nicole, I see you haven't changed that much. ;)

GVRD can certainly use a couple more age restriction lakes, that I agree. I also question the effectiveness of an age restriction lakes if the purpose is to introduce fishing to those kids who have never tried it. Without guidance, a kid is not going to bring a rod down to a age restriction lake to do something that he or she has never done before. This is why the FFSBC has set up the learn to fish program, which will begin in a couple of weeks from now for the second year if anyone is interested. The learn to fish program includes a tour around the hatchery so kids are familiar with hatchery operation as well as trout biology. They also get to fish at the end at the trout ponds. Once done, they are given information on which lakes they can try out their new skills. The program is available in Victoria, Abbotsford and Summerland, visit http://www.gofishbc.com for more information.

Regarding seasoned anglers sitting at one spot and catching and releasing as many fish as they can while others are not, it is a ethical issue which differs from person to person. It happens just about everywhere, not limited to put and take lakes. One just has to take a look at the Lower Squamish River, Lower Vedder River and Stave River during the salmon season.

If a seasoned angler is sitting at one spot and catching and keeping as many fish as they can, then it becomes an enforcement issue. One should report it to the local conservation office.

speycaster

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 06:58:25 PM »

Dion those ugly spiny rays are stocked, usually by the bucket brigade. I even think they have a club. ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »

Yah but they ain't pellet fed. I trust that those bucket brigaders who love those fish so much would take good care of them. Feeding them tenderloin and prawns and such. It would be a small price to pay considering most can afford those expensive bass boats. :P

speycaster

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:22 AM »

Last week i put the hurt on the Christina smallies. Filleted and released, was real tasty. ;D

stlhd4ever

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »

Nice photos Nicole, I see you haven't changed that much. ;)

GVRD can certainly use a couple more age restriction lakes, that I agree. I also question the effectiveness of an age restriction lakes if the purpose is to introduce fishing to those kids who have never tried it. Without guidance, a kid is not going to bring a rod down to a age restriction lake to do something that he or she has never done before. This is why the FFSBC has set up the learn to fish program, which will begin in a couple of weeks from now for the second year if anyone is interested. The learn to fish program includes a tour around the hatchery so kids are familiar with hatchery operation as well as trout biology. They also get to fish at the end at the trout ponds. Once done, they are given information on which lakes they can try out their new skills. The program is available in Victoria, Abbotsford and Summerland, visit http://www.gofishbc.com for more information.

Regarding seasoned anglers sitting at one spot and catching and releasing as many fish as they can while others are not, it is a ethical issue which differs from person to person. It happens just about everywhere, not limited to put and take lakes. One just has to take a look at the Lower Squamish River, Lower Vedder River and Stave River during the salmon season.

If a seasoned angler is sitting at one spot and catching and keeping as many fish as they can, then it becomes an enforcement issue. One should report it to the local conservation office.

At least someone like me can take their kids there and actually teach them to fish. If I take them somewhere else I get too caught up in fishing myself, I don't have the patience to deal with them all the time. But if I take them to a lake where I cannot fish I won't have a problem :D
Wishin I was Fishin