Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: May I suggest something outrageous!  (Read 7073 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer
May I suggest something outrageous!
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:22:37 PM »

Hi,
One thing that I found ridiculous is that the hatcheries release information about what when they stock the lakes.
Yes I do want to know the money we spend on licenses and stamps is well spent but I don't want to know when the lakes are stocked. I found last year when the lakes were stocked a million floating tubes were in Murrin. So for 1 week every local fisherman and their grand son was there and than after that it was empty.
They swarmed the lake like buzzards on easy prey.
It would be much better if the fisheries didn't announce exactly when they stocked the lakes.
I would suggest that the hatcheries keep quiet about it.
Not knowing if and what you are going to catch is half of the fun of fishing.
Otherwise, they might as well just call us all up and give us the fish right from the tank.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Re: May I suggest something outrageous!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:35:30 PM »

These lakes are considered put and take lakes.....

Let me tell you... there i nothing better than a 5 year olds smile when they catch a fish.... These lakes and the stocking announcements give less expierenced fisherman to have a shot at catching a fish.... I used to frequent these lakes but now can safely say i have the hang of it.   THis means that i now go to places that are a little less crowded... at the same time enjoy the announcements because i can take my nephews out for a day on the lake and know they wont get bored...

thats my 2 cents... ;)
see ya on the river

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »

I agree with the Reel Wrangler and Adriaticum's point of view but can appreciate Jettabambino's perspective as well.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »

well these guys have to be real winners if they have top of the line gear and they are beating the junk out of stocked puppy chow trout...
see ya on the river

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 03:48:59 PM »

Don't you think that if they just quietly left those fish in the lakes like Murrin, the fish would starve. Theres always been people who do nothing but take those hatchery trout. I just hope they are OK to eat all the time.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »

There should be some sort of reglation that states 30 days after stocking, x,y and z lakes are family fishing lakes, where there is an age restriction in place... Go fish BC should market the heck out of that, to create new fishers for the future.

Then after that, open it up to others...

Most other people have caught enough fish before, so they can wait.

They're nothing special, they're just catchables.

But to a kid, the catchables represent a new future, and the new stewards of our environs...

Cheers,
Nicole (an ex kid who liked catchables ALOT)
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:25:16 PM »

nicely put nicole....i agree with your post

There should be some sort of reglation that states 30 days after stocking, x,y and z lakes are family fishing lakes, where there is an age restriction in place... Go fish BC should market the heck out of that, to create new fishers for the future.

Then after that, open it up to others...

Most other people have caught enough fish before, so they can wait.

They're nothing special, they're just catchables.

But to a kid, the catchables represent a new future, and the new stewards of our environs...

Cheers,
Nicole (an ex kid who liked catchables ALOT)
see ya on the river

stlhd4ever

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »

good one nicole. i also think there should be more lakes with age restriction.  ;)
Wishin I was Fishin

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »

That suggestion would work if people would use 1 rod per person , single hook  and no double dipping. I have reported the 2 rods several times and nothing happens. If they put an age restriction on certain lakes just after it's stocked whats stopping the above people in doing as they please , these people don't care . I am talking about sasamatt lake .

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »

So those of us that enjoy stillwater fishing on sat or sun that over 18 and under 65 should just go without?Or maybe we should get up at 2:00am and drive for 3hours then hike for another2 hours.That is probably the only way to find a lake that is not stocked.Give me a break.The stocking progam that is paid for by ALL of us is a great progam.And I will continue to enjoy lake fishing.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 07:48:47 PM »

So those of us that enjoy stillwater fishing on sat or sun that over 18 and under 65 should just go without?Or maybe we should get up at 2:00am and drive for 3hours then hike for another2 hours.That is probably the only way to find a lake that is not stocked.Give me a break.The stocking progam that is paid for by ALL of us is a great progam.And I will continue to enjoy lake fishing.

I do day trips to Merrit and surrounding area. I dont leave at 2am. I leave by 5am and arrive at the lake by 8am. Fish untill about 4pm and home by 7pm. Find someone to go with and split the costs. Not only are you catching fish you are catching QUALITY fish.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 07:58:54 PM »

Trout80, sounds like you're one of those "real winners" that jetta was talking about. ;D I know quite a few of them on the forum, in fact, I just saw one when I walked by the mirror. ;D I was going to go into details on the provincial angling market development strategy by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, but it's pretty pointless after reading some of the comments. Good thing I fall in the "99% of the pressure" category. ;) Who wants to go to Rice Lake tomorrow? You can all borrow my Islanders. ;D

Warning, those who would like to preserve the "not knowing" aspect of fishing should avoid clicking on the following links or your fishing experience could possibly be ruined:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?board=2.0
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishing_report/index.html

In fact, the following link should not be accessed at all! Why take away the element of surprise or trial & error?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com

adriaticum, the suggestion is not outrageous, but it is pointless to make it on here instead of delivering it to the agency that is responsible.

exactly i just wanna yell at em to let the toddlers have some fun.

Why didn't you? After all, they are violating your rules. Better yet, you should have applied some of the combat methods you've suggested on the forum, which are deleted by the way. This forum does not tolerate individuals who recommend people to enforce the law, especially with weapons.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 08:21:09 PM »

exactly i just wanna yell at em to let the toddlers have some fun.

Why didn't you? After all, they are violating your rules. Better yet, you should have applied some of the combat methods you've suggested on the forum, which are deleted by the way. This forum does not tolerate individuals who recommend people to enforce the law, especially with weapons.

Hahaha, owned.

Atleast the law-breaking anglers are being contained to a small area and being kept away from the QUALITY angling that Bryan speaks of. ::) Quality angling for stocked triploids?

I'll keep fishing bass. Atleast i know they aren't being pellet fed and stocked. ;D

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:55 PM »

"Allright rod". I go trout fishing pretty much every weekend,( either sat. or sun.) from march to nov.Usually buntzen but sometimes lafarge I arrive at buntzen when they open the gates (7:45/8:00) I fish for about 3 hours.Have A great time and still have time to get other things done during the rest of the day. 8)
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:47 PM »

"Allright rod". I go trout fishing pretty much every weekend,( either sat. or sun.) from march to nov.Usually buntzen but sometimes lafarge I arrive at buntzen when they open the gates (7:45/8:00) I fish for about 3 hours.Have A great time and still have time to get other things done during the rest of the day. 8)

Good, these are examples what the hatchery staff would like to hear. :)

The Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC stocks 10 million fish per year. Catchable Fraser Valley rainbow trout make up less than 1% of that stock to operate an entry-level fishery that will hopefully generate angling interest. Entry-level anglers come in all ages. Some have stopped fishing since childhood due to their career and are rediscovering this hobby, therefore investment in time and money will be small during this rediscovery. A put and take fishery within a short drive provides this opportunity.

These lakes also cater anglers such as trout80, who don't have the time to get away for the weekend to fulfill the need to angle. With the rise of gasoline price, these lakes also become more popular.

Entry-level anglers need to see success. Knowing where the fish are and how many boost their confidence and expectation. Parents who take kids out can plan their trips more accordingly to increase their chance of hooking a fish or two.

If solitude is an important aspect of your fishing outing, then don't visit put and take lakes. There are many catch and release lakes even closer than Merrit. These lakes are lightly fished and the fishing is fantastic. Visiting a small lake like Browning/Murrin right after stocking is just asking for trouble if you fall in this category. Murrin is already a popular spot for other recreational groups such as tourists, rockclimbers, and families who enjoy a picnic. Shore access is easy. It has crowd written all around it.

Even at a larger put and take lake such as Buntzen, you'll still be able to find excellent fishing quality if you have a float tube or boat.

Regarding double dipping, the use of two rods from shore and other defined violations, it is an enforcement issue.

I thought any type of fishing is fun, as long as it is done legally.