Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harpooning vs. Hooking  (Read 2706 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Harpooning vs. Hooking
« on: February 07, 2005, 01:00:04 AM »

This Spring break, dad and I intend on making a "hobo-fishing trip" to Vancouver Island (as in, sleeping in the car, keeping costs to a minimum). I'd like to get dad into a hali as well as some other fish. The quesiton arises, in the unlikely event that we get a good sized hali (50+ lbs), what do we do with it ? I know how to harpoon and gaff a hali, but that's in the summer, when I have the gear readily available. I'll be purchasing a gaff prior to the trip, but am unsure whether or not to buy a harpoon. Is there the alternative to buy a large hook (with barb) and tie it off to the boat and simply hook the fish through the head and wait for it to die ? Call me cheap, but I can't see any major flaws in this idea other than you have to get close to the fish, but the accuracy would be better with the hook at close range.

Any additional thoughts ?
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Harpooning vs. Hooking
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 09:38:16 AM »

If you can't boat a halibut I have been told that you can tie it off by the tail to tow it to shore.  I don't know how practical this is if its still alive or if they are really large.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 10:23:36 AM »

Go to Nikka in Richmond-buy a big shark hook they are the size of your hand almost-ask if you don't see one.
Then tie 10 feet of 3/8" rope onto the hook.
When you get the Hali to the boat just slip the sharpened hook into his mouth (making sure the other end of the rope is tied to the boat of course).
He'll dive but come up short-the boat now serves as a float and once the Hali tires out just slice his gills and let him bleed to death.
It's actually easier than farting around with a stupid Harpoon/buoy.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 10:32:49 AM »

I do almost the same as Sam Salmon mention on the post. But instead of tying the rope to the boat, i use a longer rope and attache it to a bouy instead.  As for Graff, don't go cheap on them, get a good stainless steel graff.... 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 10:48:08 AM by Steelhead King »