Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Info on bug pumpin needed  (Read 7152 times)

roeman

Info on bug pumpin needed
« on: February 01, 2005, 09:36:26 PM »

Any info on how to pump for bugs, where, when, low tide I am guessing, what do you use, how long will they last
I know this is alot of ?'s but I have to start somewhere, would like to try some for this weekend, having very little luck with everything esle.  thanks
Are you fishin or catchin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Info on bug pumpin needed
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 09:45:13 PM »

You can pump them practically at any of the local beaches at low tide. You can use a bait pump (available at any tackle shops) or you can build your own. They should last approximately a week if you keep them dry in the fridge.

Oliver

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 09:48:24 PM »

You also need a salt water liscence dont you?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »

Salt water licence required. Daily limit is 50

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 11:26:09 PM »

You can pump them practically at any of the local beaches at low tide. You can use a bait pump (available at any tackle shops) or you can build your own. They should last approximately a week if you keep them dry in the fridge.
I also bring back a few litres of salt water in pop bottles or 4 litre milk cartons and change them every day keeping them cool. They keep about the same lenght of time as FA's method. I use water as my wife is never that happy with bugs in the fridge especially after they escaped and were crawling around in the lettuce and other vegtables a while ago. ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 10:49:52 AM »

If you are going to make an effort ot fish with bugz, get a pump, shell out and get a good one from the tackle shop.  I havent seen any ifficient ways of collecting them other than with a store bought pump.

In terms of storage, I find that dry is better than in water.  I had a 5 gal of salt water to chang eover with and I couldnt keep them longer than a couple of days.  I find that leaving them to air dry and then soring them in sheets of news paper is the best.  The newspaper wicks away miosture (containing amonia/urine i assume) and allows for O2 to circulate.

Bugz arent found on every "local beach" either.  There are no places on the north shore that I am aware of so from my place I head out to the Spanish bank near UBC.  never tried in Whiterock but its supposed to be good.  Either way look for  heavier sand that has some mud content to it, I find these areas best.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 12:08:22 PM »

Bugz arent found on every "local beach" either.  There are no places on the north shore that I am aware of

Ambleside

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 01:29:23 PM »

Have you ever pumped bugz at ambleside??? 

If highwater tackle says the closest bug beach is in stanley park and then spanish banks, then I would be more than surprised to find them at ambleside.

Where exactly at ambleside anyhow?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 01:35:35 PM »

I personally have not pumped bugs at Ambleside but have seen others do it.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 01:44:04 PM »

I am a born skeptic, I don't buy that there are any number of bugs in that neck of the woods 9or beach). 

Seeing as I have my 2 boys to my slef today, maybe I will take them for a walk to the beach and see what we turn up.

were exactly did you see these guys pumping?  in front of the sailing club, in front of the concession, out in the mouth on a really low tide???? 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 01:50:54 PM »

The time I saw them was towards the lighthouse on a very low tide. I usually pump mine out off Spanish Banks. They are more plentiful there and closer to where I live.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 09:19:32 PM »

there are definitely no bugz in ambleside.  I took my boy for a walk on the shore line today around 5 and I didnt even see a clam hole let alone any bug burrows.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 09:51:14 PM »

Gooey your newspaper way is very good too and changing the paper because of the acid is important as you mentioned. Keep cool and pick out the dead ones. The last of my bugs are nearly 5 days old and were still kicking after being in the water. ;D The few dead ones I just cooked up in procure. They donot stay on that well but a tip for the night. I wrap them like an Egyptian Mummy in netting and have caught one or two steelhead on them. It takes a bit of work to wrap them up but they stay on well.

Next trip will do a test, 25 in water, 25 in paper and hope the newspaper wins as a lot less work than the water route. Sometime I really do not think it is worth the drive to get them as I believe shrimp rings and prawn tails produce just as well but I enjoy visiting the ocean and pumping the bugs anyway especially in the summer. ;D ;D

Bantam_50

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 12:05:15 AM »

Well from my experience, if you use the water as Chris noted and happen to forget to change it one day, you can lose more bugs than using paper, as they don't like their own body excrements...it's what kills them fast.

Like Gooey's method, I use paper towels instead of newspaper (gets them to educated :P). Trying to talk my bro into pumping some for Sunday...as I don't have the time Friday night or Saturday.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 09:32:29 AM »

anyone ever pumped in stanley park.  I am getting bugz today and if I can cut the travel time by not going to jerico then great.