Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mamquam River, August 26th 2013  (Read 2717 times)

deepcovehooker

Mamquam River, August 26th 2013
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »

Headed up to the Mamquam early yesterday AM.  Arrived at the river just after 6:00.  There was only 5 cars not including mine in the parking lot by the sewage treatment plant.  Wonderful smell first thing in the morning.   I have fished the Check and the Squamish before put never this river.

Was surprised at the short walk to the river.  Headed over the railway bridge and started fishing right below the bridge.  Fish on every second cast or so but the majority were foul hooked so after about 20 minutes moved down the river to the channel on that side.  Faster moving water and less fish there but way less foul hookups.  Foul hookups dropped to about 20% so I then shortened by leader to about 9" and moved the float down to about 9" from the swivel and only foul hooked one fish after that. 

Was hoping for a few chrome does but mostly bucks that were in reasonable shape but had started to form their humps.  Only caught two fish that were looking like they had been in the river for some time.

About noon it looked busy everywhere but where we were fishing so instead of moving up river to explore we headed into Squamish for lunch.

All in all a very pleasant day.  Someone told me that trout fishing on the fly is good in that river in the winter any reports as to the truthfulness of that fact.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
Re: Mamquam River, August 26th 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »

Yes a lot of bulls to be had in the winter. As for the 26th, I too was out with a few friends. We were out the night before so we decided to sleep in and we ended up getting to the river at 12:30. People were leaving as we were coming in, found a nice spot on the Squamish and we all lined up beside eachother. One of my buddy was fishing jigs, the other 2 were fishing wool but are still new to this so they were foul hooking 40 percent of their fish. My buddy and I went not one fish snagged, less fish were hooked by us but every one was a fresher fish out of the pod and all completely taken down and I loved it. I was short floating a dic nite and man I have so much confidence in those little things. For coho too, they work wonders under a float. Surprised to see a lot of chrome fish, all 4 of us took home chrome limits, even my buddy bonked a really nice male that was straight out of the ocean thinking it was a doe. Hooked a few on the fly but it was getting tough to set a proper anchor with the wind blowing the way it was. Guess that will be my last Squamish trip of the season.

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »

I was up there yesterday, got line wet around 2:30-3. Someone must have gotten all the chrome fish, because mine were pretty colored. Mostly males. Must have landed 12-15 fish. Surprised, last week, all the ones that bit were mostly female and pretty silver. Maybe it was my spot, groups of fish pool together? The spot I wanted was taken by a row of long liners..and I swear their fish looked more silver. They were pretty far away. Got a bunch on the fly too, and the fly guys beside me were pulling in pretty colored fish as well. Saw a few zombies floating by right by shore. 

I just got a dic nite spoon..was planning for coho as well...figured they would work, since little shavers did well for me one day at the Squamish when they weren't biting on anything else short floated.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 09:00:16 PM »

I was on the squamish today.  Caught around thirty or so pinks on the fly, only snagged 3. I retained two silver does with sea lice. It was a good day out with lots of fresh fish to be had if you know where to look.

For what its worth. . If anyone reading this decides to rudely jump in down stream of someone fishing a river like the squamish, don't  go stand right in the fish traveling lane. It ruins it for the people who were there first and had things figured out... just saying...

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »

I was on the squamish today.  Caught around thirty or so pinks on the fly, only snagged 3. I retained two silver does with sea lice. It was a good day out with lots of fresh fish to be had if you know where to look.

For what its worth. . If anyone reading this decides to rudely jump in down stream of someone fishing a river like the squamish, don't  go stand right in the fish traveling lane. It ruins it for the people who were there first and had things figured out... just saying...

Yep.  I found that there's no need to go in past my ankles.  Caught plenty of chrome bullets with flies on a full floating line in a foot of water!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »

Fresh fish were closer earlier in the season, but now it seams to me that the older fish are close and all the chrome ones I got were all in a little faster water. Usually fished on the far edge of the pod that was in front of me. I always fish really short and force the fresher fish to come up and grab my presentation instead of fishing closed to the pod of the fish and get the older ones.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »

Fresh fish were closer earlier in the season, but now it seams to me that the older fish are close and all the chrome ones I got were all in a little faster water. Usually fished on the far edge of the pod that was in front of me. I always fish really short and force the fresher fish to come up and grab my presentation instead of fishing closed to the pod of the fish and get the older ones.
Interesting.. I got more chrome fish in more slack water just off the main current and not very far out either.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »

Yep.  I found that there's no need to go in past my ankles.  Caught plenty of chrome bullets with flies on a full floating line in a foot of water!

X2 I also saw way too many guys standing in the travel lane. Today as the water was very turbid, I also used full floating line and caught many fresh running fish in a foot of water. A simple roll cast was all that was needed all day. :D

koifish

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »

tons of pinks
are there any springs in there?

deepcovehooker

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »

Hit the river again on Sept 3.  River was way down since last week.  First 1/2 hour not much action moved down from the bridge on the south side to the confluence with the Squamish using a jig and changed over to pink wool.  Did not think it would work as the visibility was very limited but hit 4 fish on my first 5 casts.  All in the mouth.  All fish caught were quite silver and in good shape.  Kept two does for smoking and both had a lot of healthy looking eggs in them.  Guess the run is not over up there yet.  Heard that the CO's were out there on the weekend and issued a number of tickets, good work guys.  ;D