Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell River, August 21st 2011: Nice surprise  (Read 730 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Campbell River, August 21st 2011: Nice surprise
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:21:23 AM »

Before you all get mad im on my phone writing this so i cant do paragraphs! Well im staying with my grandparents in Naniamo right now. Took the long drive to the campbell for 3 hours of fishing to try my new fly rod (snapped my other one beach fishing the day before). Me and my grandpa got to the river at about 1:30 and i quickly threw on my waders and went down to my favourite pool. It was busy, very busy so i went to a spot with trees behind and started doing roll casts after 10 mins i hooked my first one and gently released it. After that it slowed down so i tried something differnt, i put a tiny float on with a couple tiny splitshots and one of my special patterns i tied. Caught 4 more pinks on this setup in about an hour then on my last cast float down so i set the hook, and was not expecting what came next.. A big silver fish explodes out of the water running everywhere and jumping. I thought I hooked a beauty early coho but nope.. got it in close and what do you know a STEELHEAD!! a couple more jumps and runs and i swung it and grabbed it. A beauty, bout 12 pounds and as chrome as they come :D whata fight on my new 6wt flyrod and a new pattern i madeup a couple days before. But of course my granpa left the camrea up in the van, so i released her without pics :( So overall in a couple hours i caught 5 pinks (mostly chrome) and a summer steelie bycatch. Will be going back to the Campbell on tuesday and staying in a motel and fishing it wensday then going back to reality and home on thursday to fish the Fraser for some more pinks if im not sick of them by then. Gotta love summer vaca.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.