Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, March 18th 2009  (Read 736 times)

drh

Chilliwack River, March 18th 2009
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »

I got out of my 9 a.m. job interview about 9:30 and made a bee line to the river[damn I might have to work monday to friday again
that'll put a damper on river fishing] I got to the lower river about 10:45 and seen a good number of people working the popular runs,I usually get my waders on down there and if I don't see any action I'll go elsewhere.I see a gent coming back to his truck and decide to chat while I ready myself.He's willing to talk and tells me he had on behind the snag,but lost it after about 30 seconds,thats all i need to hear to get my feathers ruffled, no one else is in the zone and he's still telling me of his recent successes,and I'm ready to go fishing.I finish my sandwich and politely say got to try a bug down there and he agrees that might work.I wade out cautiously just below my knees put my rod together,set the depth to about 2 feet to the lead and attach my pro cured cooked bug.It took 5 casts before I felt a light bump on my thumb,I lift the rod and feel the weight of a heavy fish.It takes a thumb burning run of about fifty feet,I pull back hard and get beast within about 20 feet and it burns off again,two more times I get it within about 20 feet then it pulls a sneaky and heads into the heart of the snag and stats rolling until I feel the line go slack I reeling to see it broke at the hook,must have been from the buck I realeased the other day I thought[It measured 37 inches in the water,wild quite colored and released unharmed,but I never changed my leader after that fish on monday] I fence post myself in that area before I decide to move on.I fish the other end of the canal up through Yarrow till late in the afternoon till. i decide to go up river cause I have done well up there lately.I fish my favorite zones through from 4:30 till about 6 p.m. when I hook into another big fish and after about 10 minutes of back and forth battle,I slide a beauty chrome doe of about 17 pounds into the shallows[wild] slip out the hook and set her on her way.I cast and cast for about another half  hour and decide to end my day down in canal where I started my day in hopes that fish was still there,but it wasn't to be.i fished till 7:15 and decided to call it a day

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, March 18th 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:10:26 PM »

Sounds like a blast drh . Good luck the rest of the way this year  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."