Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chironimids up North  (Read 731 times)

nosey

Chironimids up North
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »

Got to try a small lake in between Chetwynd and Dawson Creek Sunday after being delayed on a work related trip, my son who lives in Chetwynd and is an avid fly fisher took me and my cohort out in his twelve foot aluminum for about three hours of the best chironimid fishing I've ever had in my life. After instructing us on what flies to use and how deep to fish we were onto fish constantly, Clipper started when we were just setting the anchors flipping it out behind the boat and had one on about two pounds before Trev or I even had our rods put together, I cast out about two rodlengths into the wind and had probably the biggest rainbow I have ever hooked on within a minute of my indicator hitting the water, I don't even think the fly could of sunk the full seven feet I was fishing at before my indicator got buried, after three line burning runs and about five minutes of frantic scrapping I got that one close enough to the boat for a couple of really good looks before it threw the hook and headed back to it's business, it looked to be at least 6 lbs., I had it guessed at 8 until my son who's weighed a lot of fish out of that lake set me straight on it :). That turned out to be our biggest fish hooked of the day but in the next three hours we probably got 20 or more to the boat in the one to three pound class, and I don't think we ever went five minutes without one of us being into a fish. All in all it was just one of those unforgettable afternoons of fishing that living in BC blesses you with occasionally.