Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about level wind reels  (Read 3897 times)

Preliator

Question about level wind reels
« on: October 17, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »

I purchased my first level wind reel to do my first bit of BC salmon fishing this week, but I'm not 100% on how to use it yet. It's an Abu Garcia Ambassador.

From what I've read with regular baitcasters, you basically set up your rig, and then shake the rod so that the bait just barely comes down upon each thrust. Now, is this the same wiith the larger reels like what I have?  If so, how does this work for setting the hook - in theory if your drag is set to the weight of the bait set up, when you set the hook, your line is just going to pull out, thus applying little pressure and the hook won't set. Do you adjust it tighter just before setting the hook or what?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Question about level wind reels
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 05:40:13 PM »

Good choice.
It will take you a bit of time to get a hang of it, but it's worth it.

The recommended setting is to adjust the mechanical brake on the reel so that the lure is falling freely just barely being stopped by the brake.
But this setting is really to achieve long casts.
I found that beginners should start with a bit more braking.
Start with enough braking so that you can't make long casts but you are not making overruns.
Once you learn to keep your thumb on the spool, start loosening the brake.
Few important points:
1. Keep you thumb always on the reel. Once you become accustomed to this the mechanical brake won't matter.
2. Never allow the lure to hit the water on it's own. You always have to stop it before it hits the water. Gradual pressing of the spool before lure hits the water.
This is where most overruns happen.
3. Use heavier spoons to practice in the beginning.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:41:53 PM by adriaticum »

Preliator

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

Thanks for the help, I'll definately try more break while I get use to it. If anyone is at Stave tomorrow and watching somebody struggling with a level wind reel, it's probably me  ;D

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:38:11 PM »

keep your thumb above the spool when float goes down thumb the spool and set hook.

Preliator

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »

Thanks ynot, another good tip!

I just found an excellent video that helps clear backlashes too. Tomorrow may go a little smoother than I thought!

52buick

• These pretzels are making me thirsty!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

Just make sure that you understand the difference between the "brake" adjustment and "drag" adjustment; the brake adjustment puts tension on the disengaged spool (when casting). The drag is the tension on the spool when engaged and reeling in. Don't worry, you will get the hang of it quickly. The first time on the water usually clears this up. 

Preliator

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 01:28:33 PM »

I learned very quickly how to manage the reel today. Obviously it will take a little more time to master it, but I did fairly well. Only a handful of backlashes, all cleared relatively quick, one of which had a salmon on the other end, heh.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 02:45:04 PM »

Good on you.
The most exciting backlash is still to come.
With a good size fish on the other end while you are undoing the backlash.
You will never foget it.  ;D

Preliator

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »

haha, hopefully I'll get the hang of this reel quick enough and won't have to experience that!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 06:01:32 PM »

The best way to learn a baitcastor is by trial and error.....or to have someone that has mastered one show you the ins and outs of using one  ;D They are actually trickier to master then a center pin cause of all the gear and drags and what not LOL

You could also just put on a chunk of lead and practive casting in a field or something.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Preliator

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »

I was thinking about trying that, but let's be honest, I'd rather have my line in the water and suffer through a few annoying backlashes while I figure her out  ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »

If you live in the Surrey area i could give you a hand. level winds are quite easy if shown the right way. trial and error can leave you replacing the line alot  :-\ I had my girl casting no problem after about 10 minutes, same with one of my younger brothers  ;D I love quick learners.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:48 AM »

When casting, let your thumb brush lightly over the spool the whole cast (never take it out of contact with the spool).  There are two times when the spool is going to want to overrun on you.  First and most importantly, is when you just release the spool when casting, the loaded rod tip whips forward faster than the weight it traveling, so brush the spool a little firmer at this time.  Next is when it hits the water if you're using a heavy weight.

The mechanical brake is mostly a crutch for while you learn, but I'm sure the video has shown you how to properly set it.  Eventually you'll be able to back it off a bit and cast farther without overrunning.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 08:54:42 AM »

The cast control can be used to what ever extent you need it when casting spoons and spinners but you need to be carefult you dont set it to high when float fishing...it can slow your float thus creating an unnatural drift.  On alll the Abu and Shimano reels that I have, there are centrifrugal brakes under that face plate opposite to the side withthe reel.  Setting those can reels help with back lashes.  Depending on your reel, it may have anywhere from 2-8 plastic rings on metal shafts.  These plastic collars can be set to the in or out position.  The closer they are to the center, the easier it is to start the reel spinnin.  For beginners, having half to all of these brakes set outward will help reduce backlashes when casting.  If you decide to move a portion of them, make sure they balance.  EG if there are 8 collars, do 12, 3,6, and 9 o'clock positions.

Beginners tend to have a less finess when it comes to thumbing, so when learning to use a baitcaster, using a little extra lead will help you learn how to thumb the spool.

Preliator

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 07:26:15 PM »

If you live in the Surrey area i could give you a hand. level winds are quite easy if shown the right way. trial and error can leave you replacing the line alot  :-\ I had my girl casting no problem after about 10 minutes, same with one of my younger brothers  ;D I love quick learners.

I live in Coquitlam, so pretty close - I'd be stupid to turn down free help  :P. But if it's easier I could always meet you out on the water somewhere!

Some other good tips from others. I'm getting much more detailed help than anything I was able to find online! I don't wanna wait until the weekend to put some of this stuff into action! Might have to take an early day at work to hit the water  ;D