Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feedback Please  (Read 3907 times)

ja

Re: Feedback Please
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »

Gooey, I'm using 20lb test for my main line.  Hmmm, guess a lighter line may alleviate some of the drag on drfits from the longer casts.  And using blades ("spinners" I assume?) is something I'd definitely like to try.  But I'd really like to learn this short float bait fisihng first.  Any suggestions as to a brand, size or description of one I could pick up at the tackle shop?

gman, yes, understand what you're saying...still learning things like trying to read the water.  Anything in particular I could observe to aid in my decisions?

Thanks guys for your time you've taken in replying.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 08:15:31 PM »

I also noticed that the further you cast, the more line will be slack or on the water.  How do you reconcile getting the float and bait to where the fish are most likely if the result is slack line or an unnatural float down river if one needs to keep reeling in slack (with the resultant pressure on the float).  Hope that is understandable... :)

Keep the line ABOVE the water. This means the rod tip should be high up. And yes, if you cast upstream, you will want to reel in some line to compensate for slack. As the float passes in front of you and heads downstream, click on the release button and let some line out. Just make sure you thumb the line when you set the hook on a take, as you may end with a nasty birdsnest if you don't.

And, as others have said, keep the weight about a foot off the bottom. In an irregular run, with lots of big boulders, it is perfectly normal to feel the weight touch the bottom occasionally.

Once you have established a "corridor" through which the float travels smoothly, repeat your casts exactly the same every time. If you notice anything unusual (i.e. the float stops, twitches, lies on the side or goes under) set the hook like you mean it. Chances are you are having Mr. Salmon checking it out.

Good luck and keep trying. Sooner or later you will be rewarded.

Cheers, Milo

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 08:58:14 PM »

JA, after i fish a run with roe, i have been known to cut off my hook and tye on a spinner blade...if you learn to short float roe, a blade can be fished identically.

In terms of the blades or swivel spinners, I simply buy loose colorado and french blades and then make swivel spinners.  Start with a barrel swivell and attach a snap swivel to it with a split ring.  then add a blade onto the snap swivel and attach a hook to the swivel...it can be drifted or spin casted so its great and very easy to fish.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »

The speed of the current and the amount of weight you use will determin what your float is doing. That along with the water clarity will determin the amount of leader. The formula is C + W = F\
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?