Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veddar short float fishing  (Read 3903 times)

ja

Veddar short float fishing
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »

I was out at the Vedder today.  There were about 15 or so fishing in my immediate area and over 4hours 1 person got 3 and two others each had 1 on their line (both lost).  I got skunked.   >:(  I was trying to do short float fishing.  I had approx 24" leader with wool and procured roe (orange, peach, green, red...all tried).  I varied the length of the float anywhere from 2' to 4' from the swivel.  I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong?  Would love some advice from any the veterans out there.  The roe didn't last long at all, 1 or 2 casts before only the skin remained. Maybe I should tie sacks. (I put it through the egg loop along with the wool.)

Also, I found that every 4th or so cast upon retreival, the swivel had gotten tangled or wrapped around the lead a bit...nothing much, but if it's like that when the floats going down river I certainly won't get anything.  (I was using three split shots close together on the line.)  As you can see, I'm a touch frustrated  :'( ...well....maybe not that bad, but I want to learn how to catch the salmon properly (i.e, short float as opposed to BB).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.

allwaysfishin

Re: Veddar short float fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:27:24 PM »

i use split shot... spaced an inch or so apart above the swivel... with a dne 30 gram float i'm using 5 medium shot.

something to try is test for depth.... when you cast, tighten up the line so you can feel the bottom through your rod...if you feel a slight bump bump your too deep.... adjust till you do not feel bottom..... in the reverse.... lengthen till you feel bottom, then move float the distance of your leader... bait should be right off the bottom.... in the fishes face. you also want to see your float straight up and down... not tipping with the top down river.... this is also a sign that you are too deep

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »

Your leader length is a bit long in my opinion. 12" -20" is sufficient for all water conditions. I typically have 16" of leader. As for the roe, it all has to do with how its cured. If you use the Berry's Procured roe, i like to fold it out and spread fresh borax in all the folds. It is typically too "jammy" if you don't.

steelieman

• Fish On!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

Whether the roe stays longer on your hook depends on how you cure and borax your roe. I find that the longer I air dry it, the better it works. I do not use split shorts but I am sure it works fine. After the float, I run the line right through the pencil weight and then put a swivel at the end of the line. This makes it a sliding weight. I then tie a leader of about 16"-24".

http://fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html

Rod has a good formulation for the roe.

How was the water condition today??? I am thinking of going out tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 06:39:26 PM by steelieman »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »

Whether the roe stays longer on your hook depends on how you cure and borax your roe. I find that the longer I air dry it, the better it works. I do not use split shorts but I am sure it works fine. After the float, I run the line right through the pencil weight and then put a swivel at the end of the line. This makes it a sliding weight. I then tie a leader of about 16"-24".

http://fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html

Rod has a good formulation for the roe.

How was the water condition today??? I am thinking of going out tomorrow.

See my report under Vedder conditions.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »

I was out at the Vedder today.  There were about 15 or so fishing in my immediate area and over 4hours 1 person got 3 and two others each had 1 on their line (both lost).  I got skunked.   >:(  I was trying to do short float fishing.  I had approx 24" leader with wool and procured roe (orange, peach, green, red...all tried).  I varied the length of the float anywhere from 2' to 4' from the swivel.  I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong?  Would love some advice from any the veterans out there.  The roe didn't last long at all, 1 or 2 casts before only the skin remained. Maybe I should tie sacks. (I put it through the egg loop along with the wool.)

Also, I found that every 4th or so cast upon retreival, the swivel had gotten tangled or wrapped around the lead a bit...nothing much, but if it's like that when the floats going down river I certainly won't get anything.  (I was using three split shots close together on the line.)  As you can see, I'm a touch frustrated  :'( ...well....maybe not that bad, but I want to learn how to catch the salmon properly (i.e, short float as opposed to BB).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you all may have.
Do not get discourged the river condition were not the best today to take a fish that bites.

I have have also being losing my bait recently to smolts so that could be the reason for losing your bait. Roe sacks are good and I have taken lots of coho on them.
Glad to see that you have taken up the challenge of short floating, let me tell you in no time you will be getting them. Many here are willing to help by the above posts indicate.

Good fishing. ;D

ja

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 08:48:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Definitely a few things I'll be trying out (e.g., like testing for depth, shortening the leader a bit, and likely trying roe sacks.) I do want to get it right.

As for the water condition today steelieman, it was definitely colored up.  There was some visibility but not too much.  I'd say level had risen 6 - 8" from the last time I was there a few days ago.