Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoother drag hack; with a pencil...  (Read 2893 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Smoother drag hack; with a pencil...
« on: September 21, 2020, 11:46:32 AM »

I'm going to try this on the old baitcaster.... Maybe it works...

how to get a smoother fishing reel drag with a pencil

youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2RNMlHXvF4

dobrolub

Re: Smoother drag hack; with a pencil...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »

it might also make the drag less strong. so if your reel is rated for 10lb drag, after applying the pencil lead it might be 8lb. I am also not sure about the effect of the loose lead on the bearings. Possibly none.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »

it might also make the drag less strong. so if your reel is rated for 10lb drag, after applying the pencil lead it might be 8lb. I am also not sure about the effect of the loose lead on the bearings. Possibly none.

Well the hack really did work - but i recall seeing vids about folks using powdered graphite on their bearings to make them silky smooth ( a few youtube vids on that)....

My reel drag starts up faster/smoother with the pencil's graphite but i can definitely tell i lost a little in top end pressure.....But i don't mind that trade off. After all you can thumb the spool to slow things as well...

Oh and does anyone grease their drags (abu multi drag setup like in a 5500)- I know cals grease is popular....but can a simple lithium grease lightly applied improve rotational friction of the drags as well...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:53:46 AM by dennisK »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 04:31:45 PM »

Oh and does anyone grease their drags (abu multi drag setup like in a 5500)- I know cals grease is popular....but can a simple lithium grease lightly applied improve rotational friction of the drags as well...

No need to grease the carbon washers of today. With the cloth washers of yesteryear, it made sense, but greasing the carbon drags in modern reels actually reduces their efficacy. I'd rather sacrifice a degree of smoothness for that extra edge required when you need to prevent 30+ pounds of angry chinook from taking you for a ride downstream.
I find that it is much more important to keep the worm gear and pawl properly cleaned and oiled, so that's what gets my attention during the season. The drag let's you know when it is in need of some TLC well in advance (just like car braks do).
 The worm gear doesn't. It usually just fails if neglected.

zap brannigan

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 07:48:09 PM »

graphite is hard on any aluminum parts withing the reel, its eats it up slowly i would recommend against using graphite.

Morty

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 02:57:51 PM »

I doubt there's any lead in modern pencils.  They're mostly graphite for the last 60 years.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"