Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tsawwassen Boat Launch  (Read 6515 times)

ShaunO

Tsawwassen Boat Launch
« on: April 22, 2020, 05:00:03 PM »

BC Ferries has locked the gate to the causeway boat launch for whatever reason.  Does anyone know of any other boat launches nearby to launch a small boat nearby?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Tsawwassen Boat Launch
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 06:39:29 PM »

BC Ferries has locked the gate to the causeway boat launch for whatever reason.  Does anyone know of any other boat launches nearby to launch a small boat nearby?
I thought that was native land?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »

Well depends what you call close by.
Tunnel not busy so come to Steveston Harbour and launch.
Drive to very south end of no 2 Rd. and to left you'll see a 3-4 story apt building .( bakery on bottom level close by ) but just to the right drive in thru an open gate and make your way to SW corner of that property...there is the boat launch. There's a pay machine.
From there it's 5 miles to Sandheads.
For newer boaters launch out on near high / high tide ....on fast tide changes better off being at the dock. Experienced boaters with big powered outboards and good sized boat...you decide when and where you boat.
Fraser getting more water flow now also with melting snow. 
But if windy / tide changes/ extra water flow....not a big boat could spell disaster.
Boater beware.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:01:31 PM by A-BOATER »

randya

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:12 PM »

I am sure that is indigenous property. The only other place I know nearby is Wellington Point.
That can be really nasty getting out in a small boat.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »

I don’t know where the gate is but the causeway is man made so I would guess not FN lands

redside1

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »

you can launch at either Wellington Point or Captain's Cove in Ladner.
the causeway in the past has been open and closed by the City of Delta so they may have either the usual dusk til dawn closure in place or have it closed to stop people from gathering and having the usual summertime party bbq's down there.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:11:34 PM by redside1 »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »

Point Roberts is probably the closest but good luck with that.lol

Small boats have no place at the river mouth.

kanuckle head

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 06:42:46 PM »

I think, I would brave Crescent beach than to go Wellington pt or Captains cove
Following green buoy starboard, going out. Is better than the ever changing sand bars of the south arm.
The tide and winds play a major factor in a small craft 

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »

I think, I would brave Crescent beach than to go Wellington pt or Captains cove
Following green buoy starboard, going out. Is better than the ever changing sand bars of the south arm.
The tide and winds play a major factor in a small craft
Tell me about it ......( you are speaking the TRUTH brother .... ) have been on the Fraser 100's if not 1000x ....one occasion on south side of the main Fraser R. directly across the Village of Steveston  and NW of Westham Island in a 16 ft boat got into I'd say was 14 ft standing waves !!!
Boat climbed and over the top and then dropped like an elevator straight down !!! Never been so scared in a boat before.
The design of a wide hull with chines ...is the only reason we got thru it safely.
Have met two other boaters by chance who told me it happened to them at that exact area.
Smaller boats on the Fraser is high tide in summer months / non windy day.
It's a dangerous river...many times got scared....many times so peaceful.....
Side channels by Ladner /Canoe Pass on high tide is safer...away from main channel.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »

AFAIK the gate is operated by First Nations.

ShaunO

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 09:16:56 PM »

AFAIK the gate is operated by First Nations.

That's what I thought as well.  When I went to use the launch there, the gate had a padlock with a BC Ferries business card on it.  When I called the person at BC Ferries, they explained that they closed it down.  I also never noticed before that there was a BC Ferries sign at the gate.  I know there is some confusion because TFN land is all around there and often I've heard about them checking people's catches to make sure they aren't going over their limits. 

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 05:02:23 AM »

Makes no sense that a lot of launches are closed. Fishing is considered an essential service. But a main way to fish ( from a boat ) is being blocked. We need a bigger push here from the public. Perhaps someone with a little more importance than I could get the ball rolling here.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 06:29:32 AM »

If its run by BC Ferries we are in trouble.
They dont want us out there fishing and getting in the way.
I have never heard of an incident of a BC Ferry and a boat colliding near there but then again the boats are moving and BC Ferries usually hits non moving things. :o

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 10:15:05 AM »

Makes no sense that a lot of launches are closed. Fishing is considered an essential service. But a main way to fish ( from a boat ) is being blocked. We need a bigger push here from the public. Perhaps someone with a little more importance than I could get the ball rolling here.

agreed. i think their are a lack of boat launches at the best of times.

GordJ

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »

Captains Cove is open, MacDonald Beach is open, Sunset Marina is open, Macabeak is open, Crescent Beach is open. Quit whining. Salmon fishing is closed.