Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: People reefing in pinks  (Read 6755 times)

drock31

People reefing in pinks
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:41:11 AM »

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but whenever I'm on the river and I see other people catching pinks, the try to bring them in right away. Lots of time they are trying to pull them in so hard, they pull the hook right out of there mouth and it comes flying back at them. Relax people!! Enjoy the fight and take your time. If your using the proper gear these fish can be fun to catch. Have your drag set so if the fish takes a good run it can get some line off, and tire it out a bit first before you try and bring it to shore. You have more success landing fish this way and if you do lose one it's only a pink!!!

sumasriver

Re: People reefing in pinks
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »

Agreed.

Too many people fishing pinks with too heavy line and gear.

I realize that Rod has done some great work with his new Videos on fishing for pinks by showing light gear etc. Maybe Rod's videos next time could also show more footage on how to  play a  fish and how to release a fish. More on the sport / ethical side of fishing.

Time to do some hiking and focus on the Coho.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:54:06 AM by sumasriver »

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:33 AM »

Rod's videos really helped me choose the correct gear and technique.

I wouldn't have gone out to the Fraser if I didn't watch his videos.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »

If the plan is to release the fish the quicker it's landed and released the better. Doubly so if the fish is foul hooked. The basic formula used for many decades was about 1 minute per pound. In other words if the fish is about 4lbs you should land it in about 4 minutes.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »

If the plan is to release the fish the quicker it's landed and released the better. Doubly so if the fish is foul hooked. The basic formula used for many decades was about 1 minute per pound. In other words if the fish is about 4lbs you should land it in about 4 minutes.

Somewhat true but the fish still dictates when it is ready to be landed, horsing a fish in just to land it quicker for a C&R plan is a no-no in my books. Let it run and play itself out, just don't over-play it and basically kill the poor SOB before you land it. I don't time my landings of fish, nor weigh them on the river.

Foul hooked fish ?? Their somewhat of a different story, sometimes you gotta be a little "horsy" and I hate doing that but..........

paulj

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »

What do u expect. Most of the people fishing for pinks are newbies and don't know what proper fishing technique or etiquette is. Stop complaining online and start giving advises to the newbies while u r out fishing

Kenwee

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »

I see lots of people using long leaders and snagging fish. Despite my telling them that that is not the correct setup , I get cold stares and retorts like" this is the way I fish"
I believe it is an offence to snag fish. Would it do nay good to report this activity to DFO?

koifish

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »

Today I'm gonna fish with roe how long leader should I use? 3ft? Im fishing at vedder

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

Today I'm gonna fish with roe how long leader should I use? 3ft? Im fishing at vedder

18-24" depending on water clarity

koifish

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 01:28:39 PM »

If I use fake roe artificial the plastic stuff do I put that on the hook? Or above the Hook lol I
Think I'm hijacking the tread sry

Scooterguy

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »

Since you already had fun landing the fish, then you should take your time to release the fish. I found it is a  ;D pleasant feeling to see  the fish slowly swim away rather than see  >:( its belly up or floating away in the water. You know that it will die :'( then why not be patience  and spend a few minutes more to let the fish recover then let it go.

Derek Mcl

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »

Have you ever "gone fishing" while playing the PC game Minecraft?

That's the fishing technique I see most often employed on the Lower Fraser River for pink salmon!

juno

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »

After they catch them just reeling as hard as they can is crazy , I seen alot of it. But then when they bonk them is crazy too . Hitting the fish 3,4,5,6,7 times to kill it. You are supossed to only  hit it once hard . They are damaging the fish for eating! I feel sorry for them or? they are stupid

ninez

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »

After they catch them just reeling as hard as they can is crazy , I seen alot of it. But then when they bonk them is crazy too . Hitting the fish 3,4,5,6,7 times to kill it. You are supossed to only  hit it once hard . They are damaging the fish for eating! I feel sorry for them or? they are stupid

We are newbies and have lots to learn.
It's ppl like Tex whom I met at 5rd patiently teaching newbies makes fishing fun.
Also, Steven at First Light was super helpful too.
Instead of calling newbies stupid.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 08:01:06 PM by ninez »

bunnta

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »

If I use fake roe artificial the plastic stuff do I put that on the hook? Or above the Hook lol I
Think I'm hijacking the tread sry

this is a proven method that works. witnessed it two days by the same fisherman so....don't think it doesn't work. he mimicked a single egg roe with the skien flesh, outfished me and i was using bait.