Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ling Cod in the Fraser  (Read 8739 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Ling Cod in the Fraser
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »

Has anyone ever caught one?  I caught a small Ling Cod the other day while sturgeon fishing.  It was maybe 8" long.  I couldn't believe it.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Ling Cod in the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »

Years ago a buddy, Keith Temple, caught a large burbot, 6 lbs or so, at the mouth of Yale Creek while fishing chinooks.  I have also seen them angled at Stoner, near Prince George.

Bandit420

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

Probably just a large freshwater sculpin
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 02:35:45 PM »

I will try to post a photo tonight.  Trouble is I've only caught a couple of Ling Cod.  I've seen sculpins before and I have some in my fly box.  I'm going all in on this one.  I think this was a freakin Ling Cod.  I studied it pretty good.  THe colours the tail the body shape, the size of the mouth.  It engulphed a chunk of Lamprey that was half the size of the body or close, and the 9-0 hook!  I was really suprised to be able to un hook it and it swam off like nothing happened.  Picture to come tonight.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Driller

• Keeping it real.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »

cabazon
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

Nice one.  I was hoping my picture would show the pattern and colour a bit better.  It sure as hell looked like a Ling cod.  I checked out sculpin pics and bullhead.  It looked nothing like those.  Cabazon photos I see look a little more like it.

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »

When pissed off , did it have horns just above the gill plate, behind the the eyes? If so, it's a BIG freakin Bullhead.
I've caught them up to 18 inches long before. And they looked just like that. Only, for sure, if it was a bullhead, it would have big nasty horns! Awesome fish and a bit of a surprise no doubt.
kool

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »

Did it have lots of teeth? If it did that would eliminate Cabezon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »

There are over 750 species of sculpin on this planet. In the Fraser River itself, depending on how far upstream you are from the mouth, there are over a dozen species. All of them are commonly called bullhead. While cabezon is a sculpin species, the Fraser River is out of their range as far as I am aware of. Their typical habitat is around kelp beds. The one in the photograph, from what I can see, might be either a great sculpin or a very large prickly sculpin.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56:43 PM »

To be honest I dont remember the teeth.  I just remember the smooth skin and the long tapered tail.  At first I was " what the hell is that?". I first said it must be a sculpin, then I was thinking pike minnow, but I ruled that out right away, but then I said "it's a ling cod!". My buddy and I both caught a couple recently and I was sure that's what it was.  Looking at the picture now, it doesn't do it justice.  Ill just have to go and catch another one and take better pics.

StillAqua

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »

Rod called it...it's a sculpin (Cottus, aka bullhead).  Can't tell the species from the photo though. Lots of big ones in the lower Fraser.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »

Another vote for the bullhead

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:59:50 PM »

definitely a juvenile cabezon which belongs to the sculpin family....great eating and common in the lower fraser. i remember catching them in campbell river and the average weight use to range anywhere from 10-20+  pounds.