Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why & How the Vedder Canal Was Built  (Read 10988 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Why & How the Vedder Canal Was Built
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

I also read (not sure the veracity of the information) that white sturgeon lived in Sumas Lake, and, after the lake was drained, lived for a surprisingly long period of time in the mud and were even dislodged by farmers who were tilling the soil of the old lake bed for farmlamd.

Don't quote me on that...

just did :)

heard that same story. Sturgeon 12' and bigger in the drainage ditches, farmers tail looped them and draged them home.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »

great read Chris and Co, many thanks.

Chris, My Dad talked of a bucket dredge that was parked/moored above Chilliwack back in the 50's. Dad's partner wanted him to buy it for gold dredging. would that be the old relic up by Rosedale? Remember him pointing out us when we were here in 70 but can't quite remember the location.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »

re hashing an old thread....intersting read on the canals origins. a native fellow once told me sumas lake used to contain giant freahwater clams in the shallows. also they hunted ducks and geese by the hundreds on the sumas lake before it was drained. I wonder if the sumas lake was a breeding area for sturgeon coming in from the fraser river as sturgeon were fished heavily by the natives in the area. Quite the ecosystem sumas lake was.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »

I enjoyed the read. Had no idea there was a huge lake there at one point.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »

Very cool,,thanks!

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 12:30:58 PM »

Very cool . Would have been cool to have had a diversion plan at the Chehailis ,years ago  ;) .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

glog

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »

Actually a diversion was attempted on Chehalis several years back, however it wasn't very well engineered, probably due to lack of funds.  All they did was dig the Gravel channel expecting the river to follow. It isn't that simple

What they needed to do was how they diverted the river into the canal with a strong barricade and piles driven for support. If they had done that Chehalis would be back flowing passed the hatchery.

Next large gravel slide on the upper Chehalis will be interesting to see where it all goes and how in changes the lower end course.