Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UI Steelheading Team  (Read 2765 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
UI Steelheading Team
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »

So....
In the last week or so I have talked to quite a few people out on the river.
I was wondering why the river has looked like a weekend almost every day this week.
Around 1/3 of the people I talked to (probably more) had been laid off, and based on the "other topic" here is the question :

Are any of you part of the UI Steelheading team?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: UI Steelheading Team
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »

Thats what happens when 39,000 people in BC lose their jobs in one month.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »

Thats what happens when 39,000 people in BC lose their jobs in one month.

According to Stats Canada 129,000 (most full time) were lost in Canada in January alone. I am riding the line at work right now, notice is up for next friday (this friday was bumped a week due to an increase in orders).

Thats correct. Its a single month record. In the last three months 213,000 people in Canada have lost their jobs. I am lucky that my business is actually picking up. I started my business during these times and every month it has been growing. People still care enough about their health I guess.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 10:05:19 PM »

Pretty soon people are not only gonna be fishing for the fun of it but to put food on the table!  Fancy that!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 10:26:31 PM »

Pretty soon people are not only gonna be fishing for the fun of it but to put food on the table!  Fancy that!

Not true. Its costs more to catch fish than to buy them. Think of your gas bill and time. That time could have been used looking for a job or getting training to get another career. Looking for a job is a full time job in itself.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

river walker

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »

It's the EI FISHING AND DRINKING TEAM and im an all star every year from december to may.  However it look's like it may be longer this year.  Anyone hiring??
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »

cant go on ei if your self employed.

so  when I loose work it will be the welfare fishing team.

johnny

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »

Not true. Its costs more to catch fish than to buy them. Think of your gas bill and time. That time could have been used looking for a job or getting training to get another career. Looking for a job is a full time job in itself.
Actually, it depends on where you live.. I live right on the Fraser, and during salmon season only need to go a few hundred yards to either fish or launch the boat.. and then only run the boat another few hundred yards to great fishing. Even a limit of coho in the fall at the cost per pound more than pays for my $10 in gas for the day(we won't dare mention the days where I get blanked though lol!!). The gear is already paid for, and the lisence merely an entertainment fee.. much like green fees, but it's good for the whole year!

So, you see, it IS an economic choice in these tough times for us anglers to put meat on the table.. at least that's what I tell my wife, and I'm sticking to it!

:P
Never let the truth get in the way of a perfectly good story...

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:45:06 PM »

Well hopefully if you are on the UI fishing team , the stay is a short one. Don't want to be a long term member of that team.  ;D