Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siiiiiigh.. parenting skills at its finest.  (Read 2523 times)

Outdoorsman

Siiiiiigh.. parenting skills at its finest.
« on: October 20, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »

Today I was fishing at the Vedder and noticed a family come down to watch the fishermen. The mom had her camcorder out, the kids had nets (trying to grab spawning salmon). Anyways, the kids, I know have no idea as to what's right or wrong. But dad on the other hand, he's grabbing huge rocks off the ground and throwing them as hard as he can at spawning fish trying to kill them while mom is filming them. I came up to him and asked what he was thinking and he then started beaking off to me telling me to mind my own business!! Pretty sad when someone half his age has to tell him what's wrong and right in front of his own kids...

KingOfEastVan

Re: Siiiiiigh.. parenting skills at its finest.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »

Seriously? I'd have to draw the line there. I'd let ma tape me getting in his face with comments, maybe inform his kids how stupid Dad is, until he either went away or threw the first punch. Mind you Im 6'4" and 300+ pounds, ex doorman... don't mind getting hit a few times lol! I keep my hands to myself but have no problem verbally challenging others. I guess my point is that if you can run fast, or are a willing punching bag like me, stand up to morons like this, as I am sure there are a lot of symapthetic  guys on the bank with you willing to back you up, I know I would have. Bullies, including fish bullies, I would imagine, are cowards. Wish I was there. Makes me mad. I can't even catch a salmon and he's throwing rocks at them. Grrrr!
I am the King of East Van, and I approve of this message.

Suther

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

Seriously? I'd have to draw the line there. I'd let ma tape me getting in his face with comments, maybe inform his kids how stupid Dad is, until he either went away or threw the first punch. Mind you Im 6'4" and 300+ pounds, ex doorman... don't mind getting hit a few times lol! I keep my hands to myself but have no problem verbally challenging others. I guess my point is that if you can run fast, or are a willing punching bag like me, stand up to morons like this, as I am sure there are a lot of symapthetic  guys on the bank with you willing to back you up, I know I would have. Bullies, including fish bullies, I would imagine, are cowards. Wish I was there. Makes me mad. I can't even catch a salmon and he's throwing rocks at them. Grrrr!

Indeed. Im a small guy, but I have no problems telling off some a-hole like that. You shoulda grabbed a big rock and thrown it at his knees - see how he likes it.

Outdoorsman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »

I left the big crowd and my buddy and went fishing to a hole I found alone when this guy came down to where I was. Believe me, I did get my words in, to the point his wife pulled him away and decided its best to get him away from me. I didn't cuss with his kids there, took a lot to be the bigger person and still make our sport look reputable without going ape s%^+ on him. Glad to see other fellow fisherman would back someone up though if it escalated.

fishtruck

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »

I think you did a great job dealing with that situation. It's always hard to think when you get into anything like that. YOU should be proud of what you did. Bravo

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »

Yes, THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP FOR WHATS RIGHT....that can't be said for most people out there right now....including some members here. 

By educating the willing, discouraging those who don't care to learn/change, and reporting illegal activities when our words fall on deaf ear, I hope guys like you and me can help make our rivers better.....

Outdoorsman

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »

Unfortunately without people vocalizing to others what is wrong and not just turning a blind eye, all we will be able to do is chat on this forum about "the good ol days" because there will be no more fishing. Glad to know others are out there, speaking their mind in all the right ways too. As a side note, if it ever got ugly between people in a situation like this or other ones, know that this guy and many other fishermen would have your back! Speak up!

MoeJKU

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »

Good to see you kept your composure around the little ones as well. Makes no sense to swear and what not, it makes that person look dumb. Funny how theres always talk about the younger generation being idiots all the time, but you can see where it is learnt.
Good on you though. Would have done the same thing.