Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camping on the River  (Read 6351 times)

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
Camping on the River
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »

Was up yesterday fishing and went to the campsite just past the old prison, closed, drove back down to the Tamihi bridge and noticed a couple of guys with a camp set up. Gate closed just wondering how they are the chosen ones. Threw out a couple of casts above Allison, wtf, an outhouse or, the river has become a garbage dump sad.

chronic_topdawg

Re: Camping on the River
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:21:13 PM »

1) Bring a bag for fish
2) No Fish at least you fill half a bag

Its easier to litter when there is a precedent, or just stay home. 

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:43:52 PM »

I always bring out my fare share of everyone elses garbage, timmy hoe cups zip lock bags of pro cure and on and on, but really guys driving every day to the hatchery to work, co it is against the law to littler or build a shitter, get out and take your lawnchairs with you.

fish fishburn

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »

I fished the Vedder for the first time two yrs ago while on a visit. I fished 10 full days out of 14. Took me 4 days to get my first fish but after that it was game on. I had a garbage bag with me and since I caught no fish the first 4 days I took a full bag of garbage out with me each day. I have to say, being a visitor from Ontario that I was thoroughly disappointed with the amount of garbage I encountered while walking the river. How can people do this. I was in total awe of the serenity and beauty of the river the whole time I was there. I recall fishing one morning by the bridge and there was a group of four, two guys, and their old ladies. They were into fish so I was keeping a close eye on there technique. When they were getting ready to leave they just picked up their fish and started to walk away. They left roe containers chip bags, coffee cups etc littered all over the place. I yelled to them " hey mofo's take your garbage with you" they came back and cleaned up after themselves and left. Before they went through the trees one of the scrags flipped me the bird. I just waved and yelled have a nice day. lol. Litter pigs really piss me off.

Stewie

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »

Just think how nice the river would be if everyone packed up a few pieces of garbage when they were done fishing. Why are there no garbage cans at the most popular road access points??

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

Was up yesterday fishing and went to the campsite just past the old prison, closed, drove back down to the Tamihi bridge and noticed a couple of guys with a camp set up. Gate closed just wondering how they are the chosen ones. Threw out a couple of casts above Allison, wtf, an outhouse or, the river has become a garbage dump sad.

Did you pick any up?

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »

Matt always do for thirty some odd years but never had much to pick up in the earlier days, everyone was trying to keep the river for the
next generation, my grandchildren. To bad the generation turned out to be the Generation of Entitlement. In the old days and to this day I
take a thermos never had to pick one of those up out of the bush just Latte cups.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 06:18:58 PM »

When I lived in Pemberton, and my son was still in diapers, I came across somebody's garbage they had dumped on the river. Unfortunately for them, included in their garbage were several pieces of paper with their address. I took one of my son's really messy diapers and wrapped it and the person's garbage in plastic wrap. Then I wrapped it like a present with a nice note explaining why I was mailing it to them, and stuck it in the post. I hope it was really stinky by the time they opened it.

chronicfisher

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 06:33:08 PM »

When I lived in Pemberton, and my son was still in diapers, I came across somebody's garbage they had dumped on the river. Unfortunately for them, included in their garbage were several pieces of paper with their address. I took one of my son's really messy diapers and wrapped it and the person's garbage in plastic wrap. Then I wrapped it like a present with a nice note explaining why I was mailing it to them, and stuck it in the post. I hope it was really stinky by the time they opened it.

Just awesome! Hopefully ppl read this post and pick up their garbage. When outta bags I usually put my garbage into my backpack. Area I leave is clean can't say so about my backpack

Bobber

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 06:47:50 PM »

a similar thing happened to me when i was up hunting, went past a camp in williams lake area garbage eveywhere, phoned the co and i gave
him a recipe that tracked these characters down in the lower mainland. He phoned them and told them that they had 5 days to drive back up and pick up their broken lawn chairs, tarps, old stove pipe or a huge fine. If we speak up and watch our enviroment things will change, speak up.

Ambassador

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 06:02:48 PM »

Why does it mainly seem to be the Vedder I wonder? I've only been on that river twice and came upon more garbage in those two days than I have in all other river explorations I have done combined (OK... maybe the Fraser but that's a different ball of wax). Timmy's cups, cigarette butts and packages, ziplock bags, beer cans, broken glass, and enough old line to wrap around the earth a few times. Took a fair bit out of there including the feeling that the fishermen there not only don't give a damn, but feel entitled to litter and leave it for someone else to pick up (Like Fishburns story).
Seems that there are a few folks here that actually do care and that is encouraging to see. The fishing is a lot more awesome when you are not standing in a dump. I don't know of any other rivers that need their own cleanup society for regular use (Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society). From their site: "Since 2002, over 78.59 tonnes of garbage have been removed from the Chilliwack Vedder River riparian areas."
Fantastic work, but sickening that this is needed.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

zap brannigan

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »

not only the vedder go look at the beak bluffs on the cap, loaded with garbage.

Quinsam_Lose_Some

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 08:25:14 PM »

Just a heads up.
There are no fish in the rivers on Vancouver Isle.
Ferry fares are outrageous. Gas is $4 a litre. No camping anywhere and a fire ban 365 days of the year. ;)

Ian Forbes

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »

Just a heads up.
There are no fish in the rivers on Vancouver Isle.
Ferry fares are outrageous. Gas is $4 a litre. No camping anywhere and a fire ban 365 days of the year. ;)

That is just one of the reasons why I spend my winters in Thailand. At least I can spend my time enjoying some of the things I love. When the trout season begins I'll come back.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »

Most places on the Island where the roads are not gated look like the Vedder. :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?