Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ford creek Chilliwack damaged by flood remediation work  (Read 1458 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Ford creek Chilliwack damaged by flood remediation work
« on: August 01, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »

Ford Creek has been radically altered by remediation work funded by the District of Chilliwack. resulting in both death of young coho and trout. The work removed stream side vegetation and channelized parts of the creek. Dead fish were reported and water temperatures in the creek were measured at 27C. Sections of the creek are now all but dry.

https://westcoastnow.ca/2023/07/27/vital-fish-habitat-destroyed-chilliwack/?fbclid=IwAR0qIXaHWvZ5ArC32Q-CXXyLm-9zTxcTn-1mtmBJKRsEVO2XD6cWmdCl2KQ

https://www.facebook.com/watershedwatchsalmonsociety/videos/1171301540151880/
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

Re: Ford creek Chilliwack damaged by flood remediation work
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 05:13:10 PM »

Thats such a sad news, on one hand there are people trying really hard to restore fish habitat and on the other those efforts gets negated by such actions quickly

jim

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »

I wonder where to find this creek? Is it down near the canal and that golf course?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 08:05:35 PM »

This is how we lose our salmon. One small, seemingly insignificant, stream at a time….

I find this statement interesting “This occurred with the Ministry of Forests and Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) approval.” Was the work plan indeed approved by those two gov’t bodies, and was the work conducted in compliance with the plan?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 08:28:00 PM »

I wonder where to find this creek? Is it down near the canal and that golf course?
I wasn’t aware of the creek either but from a Google search it appears that Ford Creek is a tributary of Hope Slough and the golf course mentioned is the Falls.